Scarab needs more speed

Notices

Scarab needs more speed

Old 09-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Scarab needs more speed

I have an 86' Scarab Panther, with 502's, 550hp each. Mark V, Merlin heads, Crane, etc. all the good stuff. Since I put the motors together I have had no running problems what so ever, and I hope to keep it that way (4yrs, and 250hrs).

The question I have is where do you think I can benefit and get more top end. The boat is set up with TRS drives and currently on 25 Mirage Plus' which top out at 5000 rpms. I have messed around with different props such as 25 mirage (5200 72mph), 25 mirage plus, 23Mirage plus (5600, 71mph) and a crappy set of 22 Michigan 4blades (67mph). Top speed on the boat has been a best of 76mph with the Mirage Plus'. The 25 mirage plus seem to be the best props for comfort, cruise (53mph) and stability. I havent tried a set of Labbed props, or Hydromotives, or Bravo ones? Has anyone had experience with these props on a TRS?

I installed nose cones, with no gain, actually lost 1-2 mph and about 100-200 rpm. I guess due to less slip? This year I also swithched the drives to have the props turn IN, instead of out. It seemed to cary the nose better and ride smoother with only a 1 mph gain.

Two years ago I took the hook out of the bottom. Picked up 3mph.

Yesterday I knocked those useless nose cones off, and have to test the boat again. I haven't tested the boat with the drive rotation switched and no nosecones. I am not optimistic though.

The boat just doesn't seem to want to go any faster. I have seen a lot of Panthers with the same set up running 80mph.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

You sure you have Mk5's? Boat surely had Mk4's in it originally. Not trying to be picky, but if folks recommend cam #s and stuff, they will differ for the two.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Mark V's

Audio,

Yes, they are Mark V's. I bought the new blocks and rotating assembly's new in 99'. No fuel pump boss, single rear main seal.

I'm not really into making any major changes with cam's, heads, etc. I am trying to make what I have the most efficient.

The motors run great, and I don't plan a rebuild for at least 2yrs. I just had the heads reworked over the winter. Typical maintenance stuff for a 250hr motor, with .610 lift. New Valves, seals, springs, milled the heads etc.

I guess what I am really looking for is some set-up info.

Would hydromotives work on a TRS, Bravo 1's etc? Anything, but tearing the motors open again.

I don't want to touch the motors till its time for a rebuild.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

72 sounds about right for that hp and hull. I used to have one with 370hp motors and TRSs. It ran low to mid 60s.
About the only thing left would be to add extension boxes. But they're no longer available. I know of a couple 38 scarabs that gained 3-5mph by raising the drive height 1 to 2".
Gary
Old 09-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default My top end is 76

Gary,

I must correct you, my best top end has been 76mph.

Thanks for the input though. 72mph was achieved with the 25 Mirage Props. I hit a top end of 76 with the Mirage Plus'. It carried the nose better. The regular Mirage always seemed to plow, and I had to trim it to the moon.

I agree about extension boxes, its just too much work, and too much money to dump into the boat I think.

Tonight I will find out if turning the drives inward, without the nose cones works better. i will keep you posted.

Has anyone had any experience using 4 blade hydromotive's, or bravo 1's on a TRS drive?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Panther,
Sounds like your doing pretty good then. Unless you add A LOT more hp, you may not see much of an increase.
Minimize the drag from the hull and drives. Lose some weight, or take stuff out of your boat, move the fuel tanks, batteries, etc all the heavy stuff to the rear. Recut your transom and raise the drives a couple inches.
BTW, I raised the drives 2" on a 38' staggered Scarab. But I had to move the fuel tanks back (added saddle tanks) and lighten the bow considerably for it to run right. I got over 5 mph with no hp increase and the boat ran much smoother.
Gary
Old 09-10-2002, 03:52 PM
Registered

I have a panther as well (88). I run 25p mirage (original). Most prop experts I've talked to say for general recreational use bravo 1s work great on boats like ours due to better stern lift (they recommend 24p.) Mind you, I have bravo drives, so this may not apply to you with your trs due to weight distribution factors? I've also been told labbing is not the best thing to do on these older, larger boats due to blade flex. They really can't thin them too much to achieve true labbing affects. This is all second hand, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. I'd love to see a picture of your panther sometime.

BT
Old 09-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Here's a picutre

BT,
Here's a picture of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab needs more speed-scarab3.jpg  
Old 09-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Registered

Sweeet Panther, Panther!!. I'm a big fan of these boats. It looks like it rides a tad bow high. A bravo prop may be the ticket for you.

BTW... How the hell did you get that pic display? When ever I try to put one up it says it exceeds the max alllowable byte size. Chit.. you got trees and everything going on there!! What am I doing wrong?

BT
Old 09-11-2002, 08:47 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Bow High

Thanks Blue Thunder,

That picture was taken in the NYC Poker Run. We were actucally comming off a wave, so that explains the bow high condition.

I have always had a problem with the boat plowing at high speed. The only thing that helped get the bow up was reversing the drives. I gained 1-2mph by doing that, but those nose cones were slowing me down. I knocked off the nose cones the other night and now I need to test again. I wanted to test last night, but I got held up a work. It looks like I am going to have to wait till the weekend.

With the drives turning in (raising the bow), I wonder if a Bravo would lift the stern as well. I think that would be ideal. I want to test the boat without the nosecones first to see what the difference is. Since I put the nosecones on, it felt like the stern was beeing sucked down into the water.

Quick Reply: Scarab needs more speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.