Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI >

Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI

Notices

Let the guessing game begin as what broke in 502 mag EFI

Old 10-21-2021, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
I did not sell that boat with a 454. I sold it to Chris in 2015 or 16. Had a 502 mpi that had 325-350 hours on it. He was from Illinois but keeping the boat at his cabin in Wisconsin.

I sold it as a parts boat for 6 or 6500( the value of the engine and drive ) . The port side hull was cracked, port side right by the outer chine, cockpit / engine area. I have photos of it some where. Plus more. The back cross member on the trailer that is bent into tuseday.... was from when i dropped a axel at the landing.

So some where down the line he swapped the engine putting in a lower performing engine. The registration and trailer I see is still in my name. So he obviously never switch the titles.....
Read this whole thread to see the final out come. I was like reading a suspense novel and your dog ate the last chapter lol. So it was detonation(obviously) that killed it, but did you ever find out what caused it? and was there a few hammered rod bearings? And then there was this side story about a cracked hull, how did that happen? Did you end up repowering it with the spare 502 you had ? Are you ever gonna trust another EFI set up again? Is the boat cursed ?
The following 2 users liked this post by Shotgunn:
articfriends (10-22-2021), Gimme Fuel (10-25-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgunn
Read this whole thread to see the final out come. I was like reading a suspense novel and your dog ate the last chapter lol. So it was detonation(obviously) that killed it, but did you ever find out what caused it? and was there a few hammered rod bearings? And then there was this side story about a cracked hull, how did that happen? Did you end up repowering it with the spare 502 you had ? Are you ever gonna trust another EFI set up again? Is the boat cursed ?
Lets see how good my memory is. This might get long, but its is close to winter and ever one like to read, Bahahahaha.

To my best knowledge / educated guess, clogged/ dirty injector leaned it out and popped the original 502 mpi that was in there. Even tho I had the injectors cleaned when I did top ends and installed the MLS HG's the year before. I also modded the fuel rail. I forget if it is #7 or #8 fuel rail injector hole on the first 502's was super small from merc. So you use a small burr to open it up a bit and sand it smooth so that injector doesn't get starved for fuel . But again the fuel lines were 15+ years old, plus the entire old fuel system, so they could have re-clogged causing it to lean out again. I so not remember opening up the bottom end on it. A guy/shop out of up state New York (IIRC) bought it as is for $1500 and paid to have it shipped to him so I said sold and sent it on the way. Plus I had the spare engine already.

I swapped my fresh heads along with MLS gaskets onto the 300 hour 502 mpi I bought from my good friend and installed that in the 265. I don't remember what set of injectors I used. Both engines were the old, big style injectors, The engine and boat ran great, had 150-155 ish compression on each hole IIRC. Best speed I saw was 57-59 mph. Great fuel pressure (43 psi) and I used the boat as I normally would.

End of the year is when I found the hull cracked/rotten. Said WTF! Did I hit something. After looking at it, the wood on the inside was rotten and just finally cracked threw the fiberglass. I have photos somewhere Ill dig up. Decided it was time to upgrade and wanted the 33 outlaw. So sold the boat as a parts boat to Chris (a sammer and liar) for 6 or 6500 (value of engine and drive) . That is where I have no idea WTF happened from there.

Aaron (guy above) bought it from Chris not knowing. Chris told him some made up m' fing story. It was his dads boat, he passed away so he was selling it and knew nothing about it, bla bla bla. All lies form Chris. Arron bought it with no cracks!!!! (probably filled the cracks in with caulk or some sort of marine tex?). Aaron should have noticed that the tag on the trailer was from MN and same as the expired registration was also from MN. (all still in my name)..... Aaron's marina looked at it after he bought it since it continued to fill with water and found it, or something along those lines. So I sent Arron the photos I still had and said good luck, let me know if you need anything. Aaron and I have been in contact back and forth.He got law enforcement involved. They pretty much told him, he would have to take Chris to small clams court i believe and I could go after Chris for forgery since the boat and trailer was actually still in my name and he forged a document with my name and signature, ect on it selling it.

I told Aaron it ran upper 50's all day. He said it barley reaches 40. That is when I see at some point Chris removed the 502 mpi and had some POS 454 carb engine in it. But to all their own. I haven't heard much out of him lately. Guessing he took the $12k or some thing like as a loss and lesson learned?

As for me. Still love my 502's. My 2000 33 Ol had them. Same story. Right over 500 hrs popped the HG. This time I knew what to keep a eye out for. Rebuilt both to ends, bought my own injector service machine and have been cleaning mine and friends injectors since. I sold the 33 in 2019 i believe, and it is currently at LOTO, where I am still in contact with the owner. No engine problems. We just talked over the shootout week down there

My current boat... You guessed it 502's . 1999 Powerquest 380 Avenger. Boat has already had the engines rebuilt. Currently sitting about 260 ish hours on the rebuilds. Best speed to date is 70 on the nuts. Runs 66-67 all day with weekend load.

Im sure I missed some thing some where. Fell free to ask. See if my old memory bank works, Bahahahaha.
The following 2 users liked this post by 92nsx:
Gimme Fuel (10-25-2021), Shotgunn (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets see if i can upload photos.

The bearded guy is the scum bag Chris. He brought a H1 to pick it up. Said it sucked ridding in it from Ill. to Mn. Said it is ok for around town but not for highwayz.... you dont say 🤣.

The following 2 users liked this post by 92nsx:
Gimme Fuel (10-25-2021), Shotgunn (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 12:45 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Crazy. Scumbag.

Is he goosing you in that pic ? Asking for an Alabama friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
92nsx (10-25-2021), articfriends (10-23-2021)