Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thru Through Hull Transom Low Raw Water Engine Intercooler Pickup Grooves Channels >

Thru Through Hull Transom Low Raw Water Engine Intercooler Pickup Grooves Channels

Notices

Thru Through Hull Transom Low Raw Water Engine Intercooler Pickup Grooves Channels

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Thru Through Hull Transom Low Raw Water Engine Intercooler Pickup Grooves Channels

Please fill this thread with a wealth of knowledge and pictures about thru hull water pickups, brands, where they are mounted, V-Hull, Catamarans, High Speed, adjustable, and water channels or grooves cut in the hull to help channel the water to the pickup all while keeping the pickup higher to create less drag.

Maybe we can keep the first couple pages of post PICTURES, LINKS, and DATA. Then we can start asking specific questions pertaining to each of our boats.

Everyone please post pics of your own setup also.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Registered

http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...-pick-ups.html

http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-128-water-pick-ups.aspx

http://pfintercoolers.com/Other_Products.html

Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 AM
Registered

2001 Baja 33' Outlaw 98mph Procharged 500EFI's 800hp 35PSI Water Pressure

Each pickup fed a sea strainer, single stage water pump, engine, and intercooler

Bottom of the straight pipes were angle cut with the fwd side shorter then the rear side with NO hull grooves cut to feed the pickups

Imco extreme SC drive nosecone pickups ONLY supplied water to cool the drives then dumped before entering transom

Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Registered

2003 Cigarette Gladiator Canopy Race 100+mph 750 Supercats 7psi water pressure

Each pickup feeds a sea strainer, single stage water pump, and an engine

Some reasons why this setup has worked well even though OSO says it should not: Pickups flow enough to make up for the low pressure and the water has to fill all the way to the top of the tractor pipe before exiting maybe?? Doesn't matter if its the perfect system or not I am working on increasing the pressure and will report results.

Will quote this post with results after grinding water channel grooves into the hull

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 06-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have 11 lbs water pressure at 100 mph and my temp never goes over 110.some say you need pressure to cool but in a marine application with unlimited cooling water this is a myth,you need flow and i have a ton of it.pressure is caused from resistance to flow.my hoses from the water outlets to my headers are one inch id,all the rest are 1.250.

Last edited by mike tkach; 06-03-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i have 11 lbs water pressure at 100 mph and my temp never goes over 110.some say you need pressure to cool but in a marine application with unlimited cooling water this is a myth,you need flow and i have a ton of it.pressure is caused from resistance to flow.my hoses from the water outlets to my headers are one inch id,all the rest are 1.250.
Mike I agree 100%. Alot of the old racers, and boat builders had the higher pressure theory. They also thought you needed 5 gallon strainers too.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

My 32 AT has the same water pick up that is on the Gladiator. It is a Merc part, but I believe its NLA.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

IMCO adjustable I put on this year, got tired of trimming my non adjustable.
The Hull grooves Mike TicTac has are the way to go for not scrubbing any speed ... I`m not that cool yet unfortunately.

Imco sells them with a barb fitting but I had em weld on a 1" NPT so it could go directly into a shut off.. no hoses between pickup/shut off

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 06-04-2015 at 09:05 AM.