Installing thru hull tips

Notices

Installing thru hull tips

Old 06-10-2015, 10:40 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
You will get excellent bite, and you will never need to worry about how well your caulk is sealing.
Ahhhh, but once you are married and with child(ren)...............
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Keith, can you post a pic of these tips? i find it hard to believe they only gave you less then 1/4" of lip to mount the exhaust pipe onto...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

There be confusion in this thread arrrggghhh.

I think this will help notice on the hose side the lip with the undercut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicksilver-...-/271885306151

And in case the link dies on ebay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542009[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Installing thru hull tips-exhaust-tip.png  

Last edited by Awash; 06-10-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Awash
There be confusion in this thread arrrggghhh.

I think this will help notice on the hose side the lip with the undercut.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quicksilver-...-/271885306151

And in case the link dies on ebay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542009[/ATTACH]
Exactly! That shows why he needs a 4.25 hole. He can achieve that result by drilling a nice concentric hole with a hole saw or he could drill a hole that's too small and sand it out to 4.25".
Old 06-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with VC you have to read what the OP said carefully and look at the pic the long side being the hose side that lip is more than 4" by about 1/4" he says. You really don't have a choice in cutting a hole the size of that lip..... well you could go with a smaller hole and a larger hammer but I don't recommend that!

This is another case of pics are important!
Old 06-10-2015, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! Those are the exact tip I have! The part that goes through the transom is 4" but that little bump at the end where the hose goes on is a little less than 1/4" I ended up finding some directions that I didn't know were in the box lol and if I'm reading them correctly it says drill a 4 1/4 hole in the transom I will post pics of the directions when I get home.. But while I have everyone's attention lol I was wondering what the downward angle from the risers to the tips would have to be? I bought a set of corsa captains call diverters and it's going in an 86 formula 242 ls with a 5.7.. So I bought the tips expecting to just run rubber hose to them from the risers but then found a deal on the diverters I couldn't pass up and bought those.. While doing some measuring I realized my motor sits to low in the engine bay causing the risers not to be high enough.. Long story short lol I bought 6" riser extension blocks and want to put in the corsa diverters but I know that there has to be a downward angle just not sure on how much of a downward angle
Old 06-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Veneer calipers a corresponding hole saw and good to go. What am I missing?
FYI another poster here earlier this week had 6 used for sale in swap shop cheap.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Veneer calipers a corresponding hole saw and good to go. What am I missing?
FYI another poster here earlier this week had 6 used for sale in swap shop cheap.
But what should the downward angle be?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, run the hole saw in reverse as you start your cut. First 1/8" or so deep is good. Then, proceed in forward to just past 1/2 the thickness. (Roughly 1 3/8" deep)
Repeat from the bilge side out.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

With those type of tips you have no control of the angle...the flanges are 90* to the pipe so they can only go on one way unless you make yourself some wedges to tilt them.
As far as the holes goes....get the closest hole saw you can get to clear that lip.....if it were me i would go slightly smaller and sand/file it open to size. I have cut holes that were larger then the pipe and the issue that pops up is that sometimes the mounting screws don't get enough material to grab into and start breaking out because the side wall is too thin....then you start shifting the tip to one side to get two good solid screws in and the 3 or 4th screws are barely holding onto anything....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.