Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpi running rich at idle

Any help would be greatful
Old 06-11-2015, 03:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Not to sound like a smart ass but what in the world do you have. I am 99.99 % its a boat app but what engine and make & model and what year and what HP and what is the engine serial # and is this a stock OEM app if not what build is it. What testing have you done any ? have you scanned the engine with the proper diagnostic tools to check for fault codes and running parameters ?

have you done any fuel pressure testing if so what are the fuel pressure psi readings with key on no start and then at idle and then at 1000 rom, 2000 rpm and 3000 rpms ?

scan and fuel pressure tests is were I would start, Is your flame arrestor clean - spotless ? Possible MAP sensor problem but I have no idea what you have for an app here. A lot more info is needed - Not to dogging you but I hate guessing and impossible to even pin point a trouble spot here without all info.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Registered

Sorry new to this. I have a 99 baja h2x has a stock reman mercury 7.4 mpi and we have no dealers close with scan tool. Prob 3 hrs to closest one but the boat runs great just long no wake zones it loads up and when I go to take off its not right spits and sputters. After a while I can get it back on plane. And fuel preasure is im pretty sure it was 42 cant remember it has new pump in the cool fuel system k&n spark arrester is spotless just trying to get an idea of where to go next. New coil new plugs wires cap and button also. Where would you start if you was me? Thanks a million in advance!!
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would check plug wires, make sure there're on the right cylinders. Just a thought.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Is this a new to you boat ? Or engine ?

What have you performed for maintenance ? especially within last few years and then right up to this issue happening.

Does your check engine light stay on solid or does it blink ? Hah ! Just joking.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 PM
BUP
Banned

SB all catalyst marine engines have a OBD check engine lite at the dash so if he had a 2010 OEM engine under 500 hp - well heck yes his check engine lite is on and is glowing yellow or orange.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Registered

Had the boat about 2 yrs runs great has a brandnew 7.4 create motor and yes its the gen 6 factory rebuild with 5 yr warranty and its just loading up in no wake zones and runs rich on the muffs! Boat runs great just when we go through long no wake zones it does it! Im ready to intake carb and distrbuter it tired of fuel injection lol
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Registered

I pulled the jasper motor out when I bought due to water in oil! It had a super charged motor in it guy pulled it put a jasper create motor in. Didnt winterize it so I had manifolds tested they were good put new starter every thing you could think of is new. The long block was $6,000 then $$$$$$ from there. Don't get me wrong it runs great fires up first turn of the key. It just runs rich the back of the boat has a kinda grease film after being out and plugs look to be running rich.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:26 PM
BUP
Banned

were and who remaned your Gen VI - who did the install and why did the original engine needed replacing ? did this reman engine ever run 100 % at all rpms ?

possible coolant temp sensor or that connection or that circuit or possible MAP sensor and or the same connection or circuit

On your reman did you replace the t-stat plus it needs to be 160 degree t-state if you have the stock ECM tune - what water temps are you running especially going thru long wake zones and on the water hose ? Possible T- stat problem or none installed
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Registered

When I purchaced it had water in thd oil from non winterization . So I ordered a the new motor from a mercruiser dealer. And it has ran great just has always ran a little rich here and there! And I did a new 160 deg thermostat also. Not sure if it ever had a tune previous to my ownership very possible! I took it to the local dealer that put it on the computer and killed the timming advance and set the timming for me runs great in the river just slow movement at the lakes it loads up.im thinking it runs about 170 to 180 deg now on plane running it gets close to 200 thats trimmed up pretty good! And maybe no quit 200

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.