Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Carb question. Is this suppossed to be open? >

Carb question. Is this suppossed to be open?

Notices

Carb question. Is this suppossed to be open?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt mine a couple years ago. Engine was very temperamental when cold, wouldn't idle for **** until it warmed up. Upon tear down I found that the idle screws were way off and one of the metering rods was not seated in its spring correctly. It was running like crap, hence the rebuild. After that its ran great the last few years, idles good cold or hot, no stalling, good to go.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have rebuilt many Q-jets over the years, and once they are set up properly they are a very good carburetor. The ones that were put on the stock 330's can flow 750 cfm, which is plenty for a mild 454. I think a lot of the bad rap that these carbs get is due to the complexity - instead of just changing jets and power valves, you have jets, rods, and hangers to change. But once you get it down, they are not that bad, and the flexibility makes them very adaptable to a number of engine platforms. Best thing to do is buy a couple of books about Q-jets to learn more about them. Basic rebuilds are pretty easy - really no harder than a Holley. Cliff Ruggles up in Ohio is an expert on Q-jets and has a good website with a lot of info about them and an active user forum. He also has an excellent book about them that reveals the theory behind their operation and performance mods that can be made. There are a lot of Super Stock drag cars making big power with Q-jets. Cliff also has an excellent rebuild kit that has everything you need to properly rebuild one to handle the E-10 gas that we are now saddled with.

In regards to the well plugs leaking - that has always been an achilles heel with these carbs, but it is something that can be fixed. Epoxy over the plugs is a temporary solution, as it will eventually leak again. The best fix is to simply drill the plugs out, tap them, and install some plugs with epoxy on the threads.