Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Burning smell at high RPMs? >

Burning smell at high RPMs?

Notices

Burning smell at high RPMs?

Old 07-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the transom is flexing. This boat is very dry, always on a covered lift and every piece of wood I check is dry. I have lots of experience with wet boats, my last outlaw was a 2 year project to fix. I knew what to look for in this boat. Would there be more flex and burning smell when the boat is getting on plane when starting from a stop? I would think there would be more pressure on the outdrive and transom then. I just purchased it this season, so maybe I'm being a little cautious right now with the smell?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I think you stated that you're running switchable exhaust ??............. does the smell happen when running through hull or out the drive.....the rubber hose will start to blister and separate from the inside, are you running internal flappers in the tips ? rubber there also............ is it fresh paint being burnt off.......... hard for us to tell without ( SmellaNet )

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-15-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Registered

I know it's hard to figure out without actually be there to experience it. I'm there and I'm still trying to figure it out. I appreciate all the ideas. Yesterday I did hang over the motor to feel around the coupler to determine if there was any noticeable problems. I have the the extended snout coupler which looks like it is in great condition. When I ran my hands over the rubber, there was a little black dust on it, but I don't think it was bad? No chunks or anything like that. It is 14 years old, so I think the little black dust on the rubber section is ok? Also the ad for the boat said a new impeller was installed. When I cleaned up the bilge there were some rubber pieces I found that looked like veins of the old impeller. I assume the guy that replaced the impeller made sure all the pieces came out of the cooling system. (That's a big assumption) I would think the water temp would go up a lot more if I had blockage in the system? The boat is in awesome shape for 14 yrs and only had 280 hrs on it and did not look abused or modified.

I get the smell with the cutouts open going through the hull. I run mostly with the exhaust going through the hull. Around docks and just going slow, I might run through the outdrive. The tips are corsa weighted tips with only a little rubber coating on the ends of the weighted butterflys. The rubber on the butterflys in the tips still look like brand new to me.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

on your engine the impeller pieces will hit the PS cooler mounted on the bell housing first, then to the cool fuel filter lower right side, then to the oil cooler on the front of the engine then the water pump
Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Trying to diagnose by smell is pretty tuff I would think, any chance you have or have access to an IR gun it may provide some indication at least you could post some temp numbers if you don't find anything specific and maybe someone like BUP, SB etc could give you a bit more direction based on the temps you find.

I have a fluke like this there not to expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-MAX-Infr.../dp/B008EW837S
Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep monitoring the situation and check temps by hand on the risers. If they feel way too hot to the touch, I will get a temp gun. I also remember the seller telling me how he winterized the boat by shooting fogging oil down the throttle body. I don't think is a good method with this fuel injected motor setup. I did notice thick oil deposits in the starboard side exhaust when I took the risers off to install my new tips. He did say he really loaded it up, like he was proud of his method. (I always create my own gas/oil/treatment mixture in a gas can and hook a fuel line to it when I winterize) Maybe some of this oil is burning off when I get the rpms up and the temps a little hotter in the exhaust? I do feel like the smell is not as bad each trip out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Could he have gotten grease, oil and other gunk all over the motors and thats what you smell burning off??
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^+1
Could be. You mentioned putting on new Corsa tips. Some grease/oil left over from all the handling of the exhaust will take a bit to cook off since it is water cooled. Plus high rpms is when the exhaust is hottest.

Back when building engines for drag racing I always loved that short period of a burning smell at first start-up coming off the headers after a build. Just meant one step closer to racing.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Trim your drive all the way down while the boat is out of the water.

Now have your 250 lb buddy stand on the cavitation plate and bounce up and down.

If you see the drive moving and the transom flexing down by the bottom of the boat what you are smelling is the coupler

Yikes, is this really what people do? I doubt it's a coupler if he is running WOT…but I've never heard of people jumping on a drive either…

In my experience they either fail or don't, seems like when mine have failed, I spin the splines for whatever reason, then you go exactly no-where...

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 07-16-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the late 70s early 80s, I remember a burning smell at some pretty serious RPMs. I told her to shave the damned thing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.