Looking at a 383 crate >

Looking at a 383 crate

Notices

Looking at a 383 crate

Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 383 crate

Hey guys, I don't get on here much these days. I've been working on restoring an old chris craft. A motor came up for sale recently in my area and I wanted to get y'alls take on it.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Engi...17609/10002/-1

This is the motor the guy has for sale. He bought it for a baja, put a custom grind roller cam in it, then sold the boat before he put the motor in it. What do y'all think? Would this make a good boat motor? The guy wants $2600, which seems good to me. It supposedly has a zero run time except for dyno time where it reached 472hp at 5500 rpms.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm just starting to get into the hobby, and this will be my biggest purchase yet.

The boat it's going is a '71 XK22. The original Lt1 is long gone, but I still have the heads and intake. I have a rebuilt VP 280 going on. I know with the VP they don't like RPMs, but can handle a lot of torque, so I think I'll be OK in that area.

David
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

No help?

4-bolt main block
Passenger side dipstick
1-Piece rear main seal
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness
Cylinders honed on a computer controlled machine to within .0002'' straightness and roundness
Rotating Assembly:
Forged steel crankshaft & Rods
Forged pistons
Hastings Moly rings
Clevite bearings
Externally balanced rotating assembly
Melling high volume oil pump
Heavy duty double roller timing set
Cylinder Heads:
BluePrint Aluminum heads w/ 64cc chamber
Hardened retainers and 1.25'' diameter valve springs
2.02'' swirl polished intake valves
1.60'' swirl polished exhaust valves
Camshaft Specs:
Hydraulic Roller
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 224 Intake / 236 Exhaust
Lift: .536'' Intake / .555'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 113°
Other Features:
Chrome valve covers
Chrome timing cover
New 5-quart oil pan
Brass freeze plugs
8.5:1 compression
Old 07-24-2015, 10:42 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

8.5:1 and 472hp ?????

Anyway......who knows how well it's machined and put together..so can't help there.

Big things are:

1) Idle rpm that you drop it in to gear
2) Will your exhaust revert with what ever cam is now in it ?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just go to GM and buy a 350 crate motor... We used to buy them for $1350. With warranty. Set of head gaskets and go. Never had a problem with reversion.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the answers, that's why I asked. The motor is a blueprint motor with a custom grind cam, he's looking for the cam sheet, but who knows if he'll find it. I'd probably invest in cam that is closer to stock as I'll be running through stock exhaust out the transom. The motor that came in the boat was a 1971 330hp LT1 with forged internals and I think solid lifters. I'm trying to get the HP back in that area. The stock GM blocks only run around 260hp, so I'm not going that route. I figured the 8.5:1 would be perfect for a boat. I don't really need the high HP motor, but somewhere around 400 would be perfect.

I don't have the area to put a motor together or I would. I thought about finding a shortblock with forged internals, but haven't had a whole lot of luck.

Again, thanks for y'alls insight.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

It might make 472... With a blower...lol Anyway I would call Bob at MK and get a cam from him and you will prob have a good 375-390 HP motor that wont revert water.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forged crank and pistons aluminum heads and what sounds like a gen+ block with a roller conversion is not to shabby for the coin . 64cc chamber aluminum may not be 8.5 to one .or straight plugs
Old 07-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depending on "things" that's more likely a higher compression motor than 8.5:1, unless the pistons are dished with future plans for a supercharger.
But it does sound like a motor you could work with. Especially since you are aware of the cam issues. I suppose you could pull the cam that's in there and measure it off or inspect it. Maybe it has grind info on the front pad.
Marine durable NA 383's come in at more like 375HP.
I'd look at a standard oil pump too. Those high volume pumps can get ahead of the drainback on a motor that spins at high RPMs for longer periods, like a boat.

That boat you are working on is ultra special. There are not many left. I looked at buying one out of Long Island last year but it was too far from OE and I'm too busy with my life to fabricate what it needed.

Last edited by NHGuy; 07-27-2015 at 03:18 PM.