Engine developed "chirping" sound from stbd side exhaust >

Engine developed "chirping" sound from stbd side exhaust

Notices

Engine developed "chirping" sound from stbd side exhaust

Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

After you ran it at higher rpm on the water for a while, did it still make the noise later in the day when you idle down, or did it go away.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Valve guide doing what - leaking, seizing?
A slight tight spot in the guide which only makes a little screach/chirp at idle when the valve is opening and closing slowly. What do you have bronze guides and inconels with PC seals?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

you hear it under hatch or outside the exhaust behind boat?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I would start with a compression and leak down test. I recently traced a chirp sound to a bad roller lifter. Ended up replacing cam, lifters, rockers, etc just to make sure everything was 100%.

Good luck!
My chirping noise turned out to be the same as Turbo's. You didn't say what engine that you had but mine was a 1997 500HP. One of the roller lifters failed due to the roller 'skidding' on the cam. The roller and pin eventually wore down until the 'ears' of the lifter were scraping on the cam (hence the chirping noise). I had to replace all of the lifters and cam as it scarfed up the lobe that it was riding on. I had heard that this was a common problem with this vintage of HP's especially if you use synthetic oil as it is 'too slippery' for the surface finish on the cam lobes to make the rollers spin 100% of the time. When I checked the other engine, one of the lifters was beginning to do the same thing but I caught it before it damaged that cam. Needless to say, I no longer run synthetic oil in these engines....
Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by DoczDock
My chirping noise turned out to be the same as Turbo's. You didn't say what engine that you had but mine was a 1997 500HP. One of the roller lifters failed due to the roller 'skidding' on the cam. The roller and pin eventually wore down until the 'ears' of the lifter were scraping on the cam (hence the chirping noise). I had to replace all of the lifters and cam as it scarfed up the lobe that it was riding on. I had heard that this was a common problem with this vintage of HP's especially if you use synthetic oil as it is 'too slippery' for the surface finish on the cam lobes to make the rollers spin 100% of the time. When I checked the other engine, one of the lifters was beginning to do the same thing but I caught it before it damaged that cam. Needless to say, I no longer run synthetic oil in these engines....
Wouldnt that be a pretty significant reduction in power. Did you notice the power loss?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I get this on my motor when engine speed drops below idle a bit when the IAC motor doesn't respond fast enough. I think it is just the tips and flappers as well. Goes away as soon as revs return.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DoczDock
your lifter did not break because the oil was to slick,it failed because the valve springs were weak and the lifter was not being kept in contact with the cam lobe.lots of people using synthetic oil with roller lifters without any problems.do you really think it is posible to have oil that is to slick?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
your lifter did not break because the oil was to slick,it failed because the valve springs were weak and the lifter was not being kept in contact with the cam lobe.lots of people using synthetic oil with roller lifters without any problems.do you really think it is posible to have oil that is to slick?
My thoughts also, I love tech posts lol
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 253
After you ran it at higher rpm on the water for a while, did it still make the noise later in the day when you idle down, or did it go away.
Yes, it consistently makes the noise at idle. Pretty much goes away at anything above 1000 RPM's
Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is the noise heard under hatch or out the back of the boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.