Labor cost estimate alpha to bravo swap >

Labor cost estimate alpha to bravo swap

Notices

Labor cost estimate alpha to bravo swap

Old 07-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Labor cost estimate alpha to bravo swap

What is a reasonable amount to pay to remove BBC, Remove Alpha drive, Install New Bravo HP Gimbal Assy. and re-install BBC?
Boat is single 1987 Formula 242SS. Bilge is currently detailed and existing mechanicals are good condition and detailed also.. The swim platform and engine cover/seat assy. already removed. Lake Conroe, Tx. area.
Any thoughts or experiences on what to expect $$$ wise.

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 07-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Very Low side would be 10 hours and the very high side 16 hours for a real marine shop doing this. so take those numbers and times it by their labor rate. Also depending on the exhaust set up to get it very close on the hours. If it has silent choice or just straight or thru the prop.

You need some new parts to for the conversion.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:01 PM
Registered

Currently has Y pipe thru prop only, will most likely go to thru hull only on conversion.
New parts? I have Bravo Flywheel cover, Bravo coupler, complete New HP Gimbal Assy, new style Brazilian Valve for steering, block off plate and shift plate. Fresh outdrive. Will have tips for exhaust.
What else are you thinking?
Thank you.

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 07-28-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you mechanically inclined at all? You could probably save yourself a substantial amount of money by disconnecting the peripherals like wiring harness, water hoses, exhaust, etc., and then let the shop pull the motor and install the transom assy. There is not really that much to it - you just have two additional holes to drill and it bolts right on in place of the other one. The shop will then drop the engine back in and check the alignment. I think there is a little bracket on the shift mechanism that has to be switched to eliminate the shift interrupter used by the Alpha. Also, you will need a seawater pump if not already equipped, and the large suction hose and discharge hose that goes to the oil cooler.

You might also save a lot of labor by cutting your own exhaust holes for the transom exhaust. Spend a little extra time to seal the openings with fiberglass resin to prevent rot. If you have the chance to do the same with the transom assy opening (if Formula didn't do it), you will be ahead of the game to prevent future transom rot issues if a leak occurred.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Registered

AGREED, trying to get a handle on them doing most of it, I'm tired of "Backyard Boating" I need a reference point for my calcs/trade0offs.
What I have is a 454 complete low hour 454 Bravo in storage so pump/brackets hose sizes will not be a problem.
I am thinking of me doing the un-doing of stuff prior so it is a straight up removal. leave boat 1 week for transom work and bring motor home, re-dress motor with my parts, heads roller rockers cam exhaust etc. Take the fully prepped motor back to them and finish install of motor and drive. You are correct, the thru hulls need to be done at same time. I found somebody that is willing to pay top dollar (I think) for my complete Alpha set-up. Over the past year I have been collecting the parts and finally have them all and somebody wants my Alpha drive now. Nice trade, no?