Notices

Need Advice On Blower Pullies & Belt Size

Old 08-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Need Advice On Blower Pullies & Belt Size

509ci
AFR 315 full cnc , inconel exhaust valves and roller spring package .
8.4 cr
Diamond flat top blower pistons .
Callies Ultra H-Beam 6.385 rods .
4" stroke forged crank .
Bore 4.50
Standard deck 9.8
I have no cam specs yet .
Spinning to 6000 rpm .
Should make around 625 to 650 n/a
871 BDS blower no chiller .
Two 850 quick fuels .
BDS competition blower intake .
CMI Sport tube dry exhaust .
Looking to make 850+ hp 91 octain fuel .
Many call's to BDS to no avail . Need to know what size blower pulley's and belt to reach my goal . Any help from my brothers would be greatly appreciated . Looking to use 8mm stuff .

Last edited by the deep; 08-08-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Not too sure exactly what your question is. Are you asking how much boost you need to get the extra 200 hp you are looking for. Of all the info you have listed one critical thing you have not stated is static compression ratio. The BDS catalog will give you "general compression ratios" based on the static compression ratio and the boost you are running. Probably the safest place to start I would think is same pulley top and bottom. The BDS catalog will tell you what size belt is needed for a total "X" number of teeth. I guess just make your choice of pulley teeth where you are safe initially, but still have room to run a smaller pulley on top for a bit of overdrive if need be to get to your desired horsepower. I hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Deep, did you mean a 4.50 Bore? and as bejen asked, What is the Comp Ratio? what cam are you looking at getting for this set up?
Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 260Velocity
the Deep, did you mean a 4.50 Bore? and as bejen asked, What is the Comp Ratio? what cam are you looking at getting for this set up?
Yes 4.50 bore 8.4 cr . Madara cam , I have not seen the card yet . Will know more Monday .
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by benjen
Not too sure exactly what your question is. Are you asking how much boost you need to get the extra 200 hp you are looking for. Of all the info you have listed one critical thing you have not stated is static compression ratio. The BDS catalog will give you "general compression ratios" based on the static compression ratio and the boost you are running. Probably the safest place to start I would think is same pulley top and bottom. The BDS catalog will tell you what size belt is needed for a total "X" number of teeth. I guess just make your choice of pulley teeth where you are safe initially, but still have room to run a smaller pulley on top for a bit of overdrive if need be to get to your desired horsepower. I hope this helps!
Question is : This blower gig is all new to me . I'm thinking I need about 6# of boost to get me to my goal with no chiller and 91 fuel but have zero idea how to select pulley's . Lake elevation is 820' above MSL . Looks like I would be 5% under-driven @ 6 lbs boost .
Old 08-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Well if this makes 625 NA than 1/2 of atmoshere is Appox 7 lbs. so take 1/2 of 625 (312) and add 625 + 312= 937 at 7 LBS. you dont need much boost it looks like to get your goal.

Those heads flow real good, looks like 380 int and 296 ex @ .600 lift.

Correct me if im wrong but that is what BDS has told me in the past.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^^Need to consider parasitic loss. It takes HP to drive the blower, air temps , etc.

5 under would be a good starting point. If going to be dynoing id bring some extra pulleys if u can borrow some. I wouldnt be afraid to run 7lbs on that setup. Call the guys are good vibes racing for belt and pulley setup

850hp sounds like a reasonable goal.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
^^^^Need to consider parasitic loss. It takes HP to drive the blower, air temps , etc.

5 under would be a good starting point. If going to be dynoing id bring some extra pulleys if u can borrow some. I wouldnt be afraid to run 7lbs on that setup. Call the guys are good vibes racing for belt and pulley setup

850hp sounds like a reasonable goal.

Here you go, http://www.goodvibesracing.com/
This is what they do as MT mentioned.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 260Velocity
Here you go, http://www.goodvibesracing.com/
This is what they do as MT mentioned.
Ok , yea this is where some of my parts came from so I have the book . I'll call em Monday . Never being around blower motors much (except here) sucks . Thanks guys for the help . I think Mike Tkach built one similar , called and left a message but he must be out enjoying the water . Yea Mild this things going to the dyno . Can elevation be accounted for as far as tune at dyno time ?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Here is a good tech article from Holley with a lot of reference charts of what to expect with various blower sizes and Comp ratios.
http://documents.holley.com/techlibr..._tech_info.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.