Mercury Engine Code >

Mercury Engine Code

Notices

Mercury Engine Code

Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mercury Engine Code

Have 2005 Sunsation with a 525 and a Whipple. ECM has been programmed by Whipple. The engine is in 90% guardian mode. Almost every sensor in moter has been replaced along with the wiring harness. Today put on a different scanor and got a message. Engine shutdown telltale set. Does anyone know what that means, and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Lake Bound; 08-09-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry missed this one. I am very interested in this one. Why because I bet it was Diacom that showed this fault " engine shutdown Telltale set " is this correct ?

more info

this telltale fault code is a very broad code for an example

You can have general warning 1 or 2 telltale set - these can pin point to high temps - most of the time general warning 2 telltale is for inboards with transmission and the temp is too high as the sensor is reporting or even a short. anyways other telltale's can mean overheat to low oil pressure and low voltage as well.

IMO YOU HAVE - a Voltage problem setting this code and then putting your engine into guardian mode - I think your voltage is reporting to the PCM too low and or spiking voltage. I would check battery voltage especially running, back side of alternator voltage output and all grounds especially back side engine ground. I would check all battery cables and for proper sizing to along with loose connections and corrosion issues.

With all of this said - I understand you have a WSC and your PCM is tuned differently than OEM stock tune.. I would see if the PCM is the cause of the issue itself too especially grounding and or voltage issues PCM related to make sure 100 %.. Just saying.

I would really like to keep tabs on this one to see what turns out to be the problem and I am 99 % that you are getting this telltale fault code using the Diacom scan tool - is this correct ?.

this code is not that common either plus like I said can be a broad range code or a funny code set by voltage or a combo of things. Again IMO its voltage related.

Last edited by BUP; 08-14-2015 at 05:02 PM.