500HP Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leak >

500HP Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Notices

500HP Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 129 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 500HP Remote Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Since I first put my boat in the water I have been fighting oil leaks from both motors. It appears to be coming from the remote filter housings on the back of the motors. On mine there is a sending unit screwed in to the top where a plug would normally go. This has been resealed and had new washers put in it on two different occasions now. Ran the boat the other day for the first time hard in a while and the stbd motor has the same leak starting again from where the sending unit screws into the top of the housing. I was thinking of replacing both on both motors to just be done with it, doesn't look like it's coming from the coolers, just the top of the filter housing. Problem is when I look it up on some sites it says obsolete and some say it is available and some say it has been superseeded from part # 84555 to 84555T. When I look it up with the "T" it shows it to just be what looks like a gasket? Anyone else have this issue or anyone have any tricks? I hate to spend more than I already have getting this boat running this year but this has kicked my butt and two other technicians, one is very well known and he can't get them to seal either. Is there an updated way to get rid of this set up on the back of the motor? What a mess....

Help???
Attached Images   
Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need to see if the threads match, not sure what yours has, if just pipe thread try teflon taping it after cleaning, now some newer stuff used a non tapered thread with a o-ring seal...
Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 129 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! They have tried teflon taping and some sort of super strength epoxy/sealer. The illustration picture is the same part as the actual picture the filter is screwed on to. The superseeded part has a "T" after it but that illustration looks like an oil filter gasket. The port motor seems to be good still but stbd started leaking again. Figured to just replace them and be done with it. Someone said that there was a brass washer inside of it? I haven't had them apart yet but wanted all my ducks somewhat in a row before I did since we keep the boat a good distance from our house. The picture of the oil filter is a Racing Merc filter...there is a yellow label there, so much oil from Tickfaw was coming out it covered everything. Not nearly that bad now but noticed oil in the bilge again after running it last weekend.

Last edited by HOSSMAN; 08-26-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hossman
I have a leak in one of mine as well but cant figure if its where the filter screws on or a line on bottom side. Have you seen a website with an exploded diagram? I cant find one and Im trying to see if theres an o ring or gasket at the adapter thread
Thanks
Shane