Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What ADD-ON hydraulic Steering is best to buy?? >

What ADD-ON hydraulic Steering is best to buy??

Notices

What ADD-ON hydraulic Steering is best to buy??

Old 09-01-2015, 02:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What ADD-ON hydraulic Steering is best to buy??

Hello Guys
I have an Baja232 that go good over 70 mls. maybe 74-75 can be done,but my boat become chinewalk after 70 if water is not like mirror.
I have new Teleflex steering in my boat but think now to buy an add-on outside steering as drive has with also new transom and steering 0,5- 0,8 inch sideplay.
What you think is the best system for my small boat and must i have 2 steering cylinders outside or is one ok?
thanks for help,as i real not know what are good or not so good add-on systems!
best regards from Germany
michael
Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C-P performance sell the hardin marine and is a good set-up..but unless you go full Hyd just a bandaid and you are in a very touchy area speed wise..
Old 09-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

If budget is a concern, and a boat that size, I would opt for a single ram full system over a 2 ram add on system.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dave m
if budget is a concern, and a boat that size, i would opt for a single ram full system over a 2 ram add on system.
x2
Old 09-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at the Zeiger singe ram full hydraulic system.

http://www.everettperformance.com/Ze...drive_kits.asp
Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When using a single ram system, does the gimble move faster one way than it does the other? The helm displacement is fixed, so it basically has to retract faster than it extends.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Correct, the steering isn't balanced on a single ram setup.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CIG3
Look at the Zeiger singe ram full hydraulic system.

http://www.everettperformance.com/Ze...drive_kits.asp
X2

Ken
Old 09-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have IMCO dual ram. Great system and IMCO has the best customer service around. And I'll tell you why... Had to order a couple seals and the guy accidentally sent me the wrong box, to make it right he overnighted the correct parts and let me keep the $100 worth of bolts and stuff. Keep in mind I only ordered $20 worth of seals. They will answer any maintenance, rebuild, sales questions without telling you to take it to service. Just a great company IMO. On a side note my buddy has a boat similar to yours and has a single ram and is happy with it, he did look into adding the dual ram but didn't because of price.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Registered

Hello
Thanks to all for your meanings! And i happy to get more infos about best setup for my boat,as i try to hold it for next years!
I made engine (new 8.2 with CMI and Whiplle PCM) and all technic new last 2 years! So also transom and complet steering from rear to front is new.thats why i like to have only an Add-On steering. the mayfair has option to make later second cylinder at other side and i like design from the mount on the Drive,as it fit on my swept back upper without any mods.
Of cours it is a matter of price,why i like to take first only one cylinder,but maybe later i add second.
The Price for add-on with only one is much lower and i like also to buy long trim tabs next time ,as no one on my boat.
When i buy steering with 2 cylinders,i think no money for Tab this winter!!
So what you mean is bets to do first??
anyone drive the Mayfair stuff?
And i understand not rela the problem with one ram and gimble trouble and not balanced!!??
Thanks for help!
Fact is that a dealer here in germany has an mayfair for sale with single cylinder but new and all complet! that makes it more easy to take this .all other i must import from usa!
Michael

Last edited by Brembofreak; 09-01-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.