New Carbs or Covert to EFI? >

New Carbs or Covert to EFI?

Notices

New Carbs or Covert to EFI?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Carbs or Covert to EFI?

I need to replace my carbs on my Blown 540';s..... Currently have dual 1050 Dominator (Holley) setup putting out 900 HP ......Littlefield roots blowers and chillers!

So what are everyone's thoughts about new Carbs - Marine 1050 Dominators/Quickfuel/Nikerson or should I convert to EFI? If convert what are the best/easiest EFI recommendations....

Can give more details but this should be good starting point
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will make you a deal on an EFI setup..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...nder-mefi.html
Old 09-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either way you need to get 02's in the exhaust to fine tune your setup...without it...pissing in the wind
Old 09-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I use to think that EFI was the way to go, but crabs in a boat are simple and cheap. My application is a twin turbo draw thru system making about 600 HP. I figured out that by the time I bought intakes, rails, regulators, injectors, fuel pumps and computers, I was going to be over $5000 for both engines. and that is on the cheap side. I would convert to EFI just to make it easier to start, but $5000 is a tough pill to swallow when I can spend that on props or other stuff, and in the end have almost the same performance as EFI. If you have blown 540's your going to need at least 80 lb/hr injectors.

EZstriper- i also have wide band O2's in my exhaust (Innovate LM-2 about 6 inches after the turbos) I have found that at idle speed, they are not accurate. I have cal'd them and their readings at idle are very eratic. At part throttle, they get better, but I also read the plugs too.

Stormbauer- why are you replacing your carbs? I run Holley 800's on my engines and they are 35 years old. Your old carbs can be rebuilt for a fraction of new.

Last edited by phughes69; 09-14-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phughes69
I use to think that EFI was the way to go, but crabs in a boat are simple and cheap. My application is a twin turbo draw thru system making about 600 HP. I figured out that by the time I bought intakes, rails, regulators, injectors, fuel pumps and computers, I was going to be over $5000 for both engines. and that is on the cheap side. I would convert to EFI just to make it easier to start, but $5000 is a tough pill to swallow when I can spend that on props or other stuff, and in the end have almost the same performance as EFI. If you have blown 540's your going to need at least 80 lb/hr injectors.

EZstriper- i also have wide band O2's in my exhaust (Innovate LM-2 about 6 inches after the turbos) I have found that at idle speed, they are not accurate. I have cal'd them and their readings at idle are very eratic. At part throttle, they get better, but I also read the plugs too.

Stormbauer- why are you replacing your carbs? I run Holley 800's on my engines and they are 35 years old. Your old carbs can be rebuilt for a fraction of new.
Carbs are non marine and I just do not feel right about safety..... I am very careful but have lots of kids on board all the time and just makes me uneasy..... Does anyone convert regular carbs to marine? Seems like would be pretty easy between J tubes and seals.....
Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered

Would need two setups...
Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stormbauer
Carbs are non marine and I just do not feel right about safety..... I am very careful but have lots of kids on board all the time and just makes me uneasy..... Does anyone convert regular carbs to marine? Seems like would be pretty easy between J tubes and seals.....
Although some will tell you J tubes arent needed in a boat, i certainly like the idea of fuel dumping into the engine, rather than onto the engines should a needle and seat stick open. They are cheap and easy to install. They do hurt airflow a little bit, but i would not sweat that. They are a few bucks each.

They also make some aluminium spacers that go between the flame arrestor and carbs, with an o ring seal on the bottom. With those, it would keep the fuel from flowing onto the engines and into bilge.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,303 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Wow thats the whole reason for wanting to spend a butttload of $$ on new carbs or 3 buttloads of cash on EFI?
I ordered all new carbs, with no J tubes, because they were red and I didn`t want the plain black "marine" carbs.
I haven`t worried about it for a single second.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Call Nickerson
Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Call BLP. http://blp.com/cart/

I know they make many baseplates with sealed roller bearings. Maybe they can do this to your carbs ?

And yes, I understand the fuel vs boat in flames paranoia. Have seen a few boats burn down and those images always stick with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.