Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cylinder #5 sucked water due to crap header. What next? >

Cylinder #5 sucked water due to crap header. What next?

Notices

Cylinder #5 sucked water due to crap header. What next?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I did reset the lash on that cylinder. I'll check out the cam in the off season.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Registered

Checked the height with the bridge/dial indicator and everything looks in spec. I had a machine shop do a valve job etc, so hopefully it'll be good to go for years to come.

Edit: before tearing down I did compression test and that cylinder came in at 180 in line with the others.

There was mention of a cam lobe "wiping". What does that mean?

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 12-16-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Thoughts on roller rockers? It currently has the stock stamped GM rockers. Is it worth it to upgrade on a mild engine?
Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GOOD roller rockers are INSURANCE against failure. The higher HP the motor the better parts are necessary because the stock parts won't last ten minutes. My 598 has JESSEL Pro shaft rockers. Price those out and your rollers will sound cheap.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545190[/ATTACH]
picture worth a 1000 words right here...if its bent piston travel will be less..
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Thoughts on roller rockers? It currently has the stock stamped GM rockers. Is it worth it to upgrade on a mild engine?
it means the cam lobe is wearing away, if the exhaust only wears sometimes can cause the compression reading to go up as there now no overlap between the intake and exhaust
Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
it means the cam lobe is wearing away, if the exhaust only wears sometimes can cause the compression reading to go up as there now no overlap between the intake and exhaust
Ah, got it. So far everything looks good.

So the roller rockers, as I understand it, are not so much a performance upgrade but a component of longevity with a little performance benefit? And it looks like you don't want to cheap out on quality with those.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If something like this were to happen in the future, disconnect the water hoses which go to the header(s). Remove the plugs and crank the engine over a few times evacuating the majority of the water.

A little bit will still remain, no matter ho much you crank. Then put the plugs back in and fire it up without any water going to the headers. Run it for say, 30 seconds or so... Water will be flowing into the bilge, don't worry.. This effectively drys out the cylinders and will ensure your rings don't seize up from the residual water if you didn't run it. Then oil down each cylinder with oil.

Headers....gotta love em!

Frank
Old 12-24-2015, 11:18 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

When running the engine for a short time without a water supply, I would take the water pump impeller out the mix completely. Water on top of the piston will always show a higher compression number on the gauge and will keep on climbing to a certain point when comp testing. Basically you are filling more of the space in the combustion chambers hence the higher the comp reading. It refers to the same basics as raising the compression ratio will always yield a higher comp testing number.

I would fill the cylinder(s) with WD 40 - let it sit for a couple mins and then crank over engine with spark plug(s) out to purge all remains, then run the engine for short time without the impeller in the mix / no water supply.

Then I would fog your cylinders with fogging oil or run the engine again without a water supply using new gas and heavy 2 stroke oil mix & stabil on a portable gas tank supply for lay up.

Last edited by BUP; 12-24-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezstriper
If it bent a rod, you will see a difference in the travel with head off, bent=shorter, but can't see how that would have compression jacked up...something weird here...
Bent rod will put the piston further in the hole but the travel (stroke) will be the same. Compression would be down because compressed volume would increase even though swept volume remains the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.