Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 10-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
That was fast!
I get obsessed about this stuff. I was up at 5 AM just itching to get to the shop and have some quiet time working on it. Really it went together quickly, there weren't many hurdles to overcome.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Larry has been great to deal with, and I am impressed with what I have bought. There is nothing magical here just the same recipe that makes power on every other big block. I will say the heads look very, very nice. The cam would appear to be ground by cam motion, and I like what I saw there. It's hard to tell how much was done to the intake, but what I can see looks to be done nicely. An Accufab 90mm throttle body is about the only obvious thing that lets you know the motor isn't stock, you can hardly see the heads under everything.

I only had one hitch in this whole project, and that is the front crossover pipe. With the thinner head gaskets the bolt holes just won't quite line up. I ended up opening the bolt holes up to 1/2 inch to get things copacetic. Other than that everything fit perfect, lined up right, and went together properly. I am waiting on my Rinda to get here to properly dial in the bypass hole in the throttle body and set the TPS properly. It certainly sounds healthier than a stock 496 HO, I am very much looking forward to the next phase when I can really put some cam to it and a nice exhaust on it. I set the fuel pressure, hit the starter, and it fired up nearly instantly. The only gaskets I replaced were the exhaust gaskets and the intake gaskets, and I could have probably reused them if I wanted to, but they seemed iffy so I replaced them. The only thing I need to find now is a flame arrester to fit this throttle body, the stock one is way too small.

https://youtu.be/WWG8BEXrgIY
You do not mess around Matt! I don't blame you, I'm the same way when building my previous engines.
Congrats, it sounds much healthier than the stock HO cam. Wait till you mod the risers. It will even get better. Too bad winter is fast approaching. Any plans on a late fall test run?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,131 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
You do not mess around Matt! I don't blame you, I'm the same way when building my previous engines.
Congrats, it sounds much healthier than the stock HO cam. Wait till you mod the risers. It will even get better. Too bad winter is fast approaching. Any plans on a late fall test run?
60-70 here (same area as Matt) from today till next tuesday - so I say everyone push him because you know he's pushing himself. hah !

MAybe tomorrow when I stop for coffee I'll stop at his shop and chearlead for a few. LOL.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
It differs from the 454/502 engine and everyone told me that it would become a "white elephant". Sure enough, it was discontinued and Mercury is back to the 502 crate engine.
Hmm,

white el·e·phant
noun
a possession that is useless or troublesome, especially one that is expensive to maintain or difficult to dispose of.

I think I finally found the name for my boat.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's just what I was told when I ran it by a lot of people. It wasn't cheap driving to South Tennessee to pick up the 525 for $20,000 and then I had to have the exhaust tips relocated. I just really wanted the 525 but Donzi did not offer it in a 22 Classic except for a couple of one offs.

White Elephant: " A rare whitish or light-gray form of the Asian elephant, often considered sacred in parts of South and Southeast Asia".
Old 10-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
Can you give me a link to one of the 200.00 dollar 8.1 blocks .I need one and I haven't seen a price anywhere close to that .Not kidding .I will pay you a finders fee for a good one..Don't need a non useable one
I got two long blocks sitting in crates...might be willing to part with one, however not for $200.00 when the core charge was $500.00
Old 10-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Registered

I set the fuel pressure, hit the starter, and it fired up nearly instantly.
What did you have to do to set the fuel pressure, on the stock cool fuel system the pressure is vacuum regulated and can't change the pressure (except to maybe pull off the vacuum line)?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
What did you have to do to set the fuel pressure, on the stock cool fuel system the pressure is vacuum regulated and can't change the pressure (except to maybe pull off the vacuum line)?
The raylar kit includes an adjustable regulator. Pop out the old one, pop in the new one, adjust the fuel pressure with a 3mm allen and a 10mm wrench.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
I got two long blocks sitting in crates...might be willing to part with one, however not for $200.00 when the core charge was $500.00
What kind of shape is the long block in? I would like to find another spare.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I never thought you were beating up on me, I dig your Donzi, and have watched a couple of videos of that 525 barking on youtube. Truth is, if I had only one motor I probably would have bought a 525, but I have twins, and I just couldn't swing the coin to buy two used 525's and refresh them.

Larry has been great to deal with, and I am impressed with what I have bought. There is nothing magical here just the same recipe that makes power on every other big block. I will say the heads look very, very nice. The cam would appear to be ground by cam motion, and I like what I saw there. It's hard to tell how much was done to the intake, but what I can see looks to be done nicely. An Accufab 90mm throttle body is about the only obvious thing that lets you know the motor isn't stock, you can hardly see the heads under everything.

I only had one hitch in this whole project, and that is the front crossover pipe. With the thinner head gaskets the bolt holes just won't quite line up. I ended up opening the bolt holes up to 1/2 inch to get things copacetic. Other than that everything fit perfect, lined up right, and went together properly. I am waiting on my Rinda to get here to properly dial in the bypass hole in the throttle body and set the TPS properly. It certainly sounds healthier than a stock 496 HO, I am very much looking forward to the next phase when I can really put some cam to it and a nice exhaust on it. I set the fuel pressure, hit the starter, and it fired up nearly instantly. The only gaskets I replaced were the exhaust gaskets and the intake gaskets, and I could have probably reused them if I wanted to, but they seemed iffy so I replaced them. The only thing I need to find now is a flame arrester to fit this throttle body, the stock one is way too small.

https://youtu.be/WWG8BEXrgIY
Congats! You are doing what I used to do in my miss spent youth.
Now I am depending on other people, and that is disappointing.
Keep up the good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.