Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Who does good job on Carburetor Rebuilds? >

Who does good job on Carburetor Rebuilds?

Notices

Who does good job on Carburetor Rebuilds?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Many marine and bike shops in the past 5 years use a ultra sonic cleaning machine like from the makes of Omega or Crest. They are not cheap.

Omega is strongly recommend by the OEM marine engine manu's like Honda and Suzuki and so on.

Back in the day Merc powertune was the best stuff to use. I had it down pat since the late 80's and 90's for carb cleaning. Before Ultra sonic cleaning machines were on the market - I took a bolt and nut polish machine and set a large enough S S bowl on top of it securely then placed very fine screens in the bottom of the S.S. bowl. Place all carb parts that needed to be cleaned, then filled the bowl with Merc power tune when it became available ( a switch from the carb cleaners back then). next step - turned on the bolt / nut polish machine. This was basically a homemade ultra sonic vibration machine almost 30 years ago and had no idea what I created for the future. Anyways it was the best carb cleaning system on the cheap at that time frame.

Currently Merc Power tune is almost worthless for powerful cleaning. I talked to the guy who makes power tune for Merc and he said Yes the EPA is the one who made all of these cleaners worthless including power tune.

Last edited by BUP; 09-22-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Call Ken Jones, Centralia ,IL., he repairs/rebuilds carbs. for gasoline engines, blower engines, alcohol engines, etc, and he owns and drives one of the fastest super pro class cars in the country.
what problems are you having.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had holley carbs rebuilt at Teague a couple of times , never a problem and have to think they know what they are doing.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Bowen Carburetor in Bristol, PA. The owner is, Ken Garmet. They have a engine dyno and test run every carburetor that they rebuild. Call and talk to him. he is a boat motor head also. 215-943-6639
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 PM
BUP
Banned

have to ask above ^^^^ You are saying that this carb rebuilder has a an engine on the dyno and then dyno's every carb that he rebuilds by testing them on this one engine ?

One engine and one intake manifold design does not fit nor work for all carbs or am I missing what you are saying here. Just asking because I would like to see how he can determine the output of the carb correctly by dyno testing on one generic engine. Impossible.

Last edited by BUP; 09-24-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

BUP, you are correct.

Some with have just one engine, some will have a mild small block (biggest percentage of customers - you know, hot rod based) and then a radical small or big block.

But Bup, many do this. It helps with float level and minor adjustments, but the better ones will have fuel flow meters on both the primary and seondary so that they can see if they are flowing properly.

Obviously helps with catching a carb that may have some junk (gaskets, shavings, a broken drill bit even...lol) stuck somewhere they didn't see at first visually.

Pre-run is better than never run....but it doesn't do as much as you would hope. That's where the carb builders experience and note taking come in. Just like companies that sell basic and custom EFI programming.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM
BUP
Banned

I miss understood what he posted completely - thought he was doing dyno pulls (full sweeps). I understand and know about the fuel flowl meters / checking fuel flow and so on..

Last edited by BUP; 09-24-2015 at 07:57 PM.