Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Broken output shaft & coupler >

Broken output shaft & coupler

Notices

Broken output shaft & coupler

Old 09-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a heavy duty PTO adapter for big block Chevy that bolts to the crankshaft using crank bolts and provides a 4 bolt pattern for u-joint flange. We use them in jet drive applications. I'd ship it to you for $75 bux, it is new, un-used. Give me an email and I'll send you pictures.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:51 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that explains a plausible cause. It is able to flex and move around with out the pilot bushing to keep it aligned from the bearing through the coupler to the crank.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by No Coast
I have a heavy duty PTO adapter for big block Chevy that bolts to the crankshaft using crank bolts and provides a 4 bolt pattern for u-joint flange. We use them in jet drive applications. I'd ship it to you for $75 bux, it is new, un-used. Give me an email and I'll send you pictures.
I would like to see it. I'm not sure it's going to work for me. I would have to take out the coupler and make a longer drive shaft. All stuff I can do but not sure how I feel about running the boat without a coupler. Email is [email protected] I'll take a look and see of it will work.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
Well that explains a plausible cause. It is able to flex and move around with out the pilot bushing to keep it aligned from the bearing through the coupler to the crank.
I'm not convinced that's the whole problem but I'm sure it didn't help. I ordered a bushing today so it will be one in when it goes back together. I have a few leads on a custom built shaft that will be stronger so between those two things I hope I will not have this problem anymore. Next problem will be blowing out couplers all the time. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by jdflchr
I would like to see it. I'm not sure it's going to work for me. I would have to take out the coupler and make a longer drive shaft. All stuff I can do but not sure how I feel about running the boat without a coupler. Email is [email protected] I'll take a look and see of it will work.
Thanks
Running without a coupler shouldn't be a problem. That is the standard way with Stelling ext boxes.
I have Stelling boxes and my engines are also moved forward about 16" and I run drive shafts.
I don't have nearly your HP though, but the boat originally had 750's with this set up.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Check with Bam also. I know they make Flanges for the trannies. So he might have some leads or suggestions. He's on the board here also.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cheech
Check with Bam also. I know they make Flanges for the trannies. So he might have some leads or suggestions. He's on the board here also.
I called Bam when I broke the first one. They didn't have anything at that time. Maybe I'll check with them again. Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

DriveGuardian would definitely eliminate your coupler issues and can easily handle your HP levels. MDC can also build a custom input shaft for you that can handle 1,000+HP without breaking.

GF?

Originally Posted by jdflchr
I didn't even know what a Drive Guardian was, I had to look it up. That's a great idea. I just bought a new coupler and bearing today if I can't find a better shaft soon I'll get one more stock one just because I'm going to Key West poker run with this boat and I'm running out of time. I'll be looking into a drive guardian for next years boating season. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Maybe this would help? Drive plate damper.

http://www.***************.com/hardi...rough-1800-hp/
Old 10-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Got Freedom?
DriveGuardian would definitely eliminate your coupler issues and can easily handle your HP levels. MDC can also build a custom input shaft for you that can handle 1,000+HP without breaking.

GF?
Who is MDC? It's not my drive input shaft that I'm breaking but if they make custom shafts I would like to talk to them.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.