Supercharger recommendation for 575SCI >

Supercharger recommendation for 575SCI

Notices

Supercharger recommendation for 575SCI

Old 09-30-2015, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I was just talking about some intercooler plumbing last night with Icdedppl. Last week, i messed around in the garage with some water fittings on my intercoolers i plan to install.

I first tested my city water psi, and i had 36psi deadheaded. I then hooked up a 3/4 water line to my water spigot. I filled a bucket at the rate of 450 gallons per hour. I then hooked that line to my intercooler inlet, with a -10 outlet. I measured the same 450 gallon per hour flow rate, with ZERO psi restriction in the core.

I then removed the -10 discharge, and installed a -8 discharge. Flow now went down to 360 gallons per hour, and recorded 10psi restriction in the core housing.

Now, teague recommends a -12 inlet, and TWO -10 outlets for my particular intercooler, with 20psi in the core housing at wot.

What i am getting at here, is my simple 3/4 hose setup, coming from city water supply, was vastly incapable, of getting anywhere near the water flow to the core, that it is capable of flowing. So on the dyno where we recently tested a 1071 roots blown engine, we recorded 112 degrees at 10lbs of boost intake temps. That was with a cheesy garden hose setup hooked to the core, that is not nearly flowing the water , than you can flow, when properly installed in the boat when plumbed correctly, and still had respectable intake temps at 10psi .
i think the water we were running through the cooler on the dyno was 50 to 60 deg so it probibally removed as much heat as a properly plumbed system at 80 deg water temp.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are the 6-71/14-71 GMC style replacement whipples. They are bad azz. But, there isn't anything from the merc 575sci, that would bolt to them, except, possibly the throttle bodies. They are a great replacement for a guy wanting to ditch his 8-71, 10-71, etc, and go screw.

Its hard to argue $3750.00 , and be able to bolt it all on in a weekend, for a Dyers kit. Even less if you choose for the satin finish.
With the efficiency increase of the whipple roots replacement there is a very good chance you will run out of injection
Old 09-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i think the water we were running through the cooler on the dyno was 50 to 60 deg so it probibally removed as much heat as a properly plumbed system at 80 deg water temp.
Up on the big lake, the water is in the 60's even in august !

Water pressure in the SuperChiller is required to achieve the heat transfer that creates the performance increase. It is important to maintain 15 to 20 PSI in the intercooler when the blower is making maximum boost. Never exceed 30 PSI or damage to the Superchiller and/or engine may occur.

What I was trying to say, was with a garden hose spigot, and single -10 exit, I was getting 0 psi in the core. No pressure at all at full blast. In order to get 15-20psi in the core, with TWO -10 exit lines, I would need to immensely increase water supply volume to the core. Whether or not that would make a difference in the charge temps, I have no idea. I would think teague, whipple, PF marine, or some of them would know, or have tested all that stuff.

Some of the big custom procharged engines I've seen, with homemade huge custom intercoolers, had 1.25 water line feeding it, and 1.25 water line on the dump! Thats huge.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What I was trying to say, was with a garden hose spigot, and single -10 exit, I was getting 0 psi in the core. No pressure at all at full blast. In order to get 15-20psi in the core, with TWO -10 exit lines, I would need to immensely increase water supply volume to the core. Whether or not that would make a difference in the charge temps, I have no idea. I would think teague, whipple, PF marine, or some of them would know, or have tested all that stuff.
Yeah, a boat moving at 80mph is going to move a ton more water than a garden hose, even with only a tiny bit of the pickup exposed to the water stream. By increasing the volumetric flow rate through the cooler, you increase the rate of heat transfer, thus cooler intake air temps (up to a certain point). Especially if the water is 60* good god thats cold! Teague has certainly done a lot of experimenting with their water systems to increase efficiency and reduce pressure spikes.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Dyers seem to have a great upgrade for the 575!

Precision power offshore just finished a pair of originally 575s, now built 540's, Valeyko Dart heads, Superchillers, etc. 1022hp so there's plenty of potential!

Just be ready to freshen drives every other season or sooner. Doesn't matter what anyone says you WILL end up spending alot of time and money rebuilding ANY bravo based drive with more then 600hp going thru it. No matter how you drive it.

Good luck and keep us updated! Cool boat should run nice!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Yeah, a boat moving at 80mph is going to move a ton more water than a garden hose, even with only a tiny bit of the pickup exposed to the water stream. By increasing the volumetric flow rate through the cooler, you increase the rate of heat transfer, thus cooler intake air temps (up to a certain point). Especially if the water is 60* good god thats cold! Teague has certainly done a lot of experimenting with their water systems to increase efficiency and reduce pressure spikes.
I see teague now offers high flow end caps for their superchillers.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Did the Dyers 8-71 conversion on some 525sc's that were already upgraded to B&M 250's earlier this year. Ran really strong, very under-driven and good looking pieces very reasonably priced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545839[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger recommendation for 575SCI-dyer-871.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Up on the big lake, the water is in the 60's even in august !

Water pressure in the SuperChiller is required to achieve the heat transfer that creates the performance increase. It is important to maintain 15 to 20 PSI in the intercooler when the blower is making maximum boost. Never exceed 30 PSI or damage to the Superchiller and/or engine may occur.

Some of the big custom procharged engines I've seen, with homemade huge custom intercoolers, had 1.25 water line feeding it, and 1.25 water line on the dump! Thats huge.
joe,i don,t think the water pressure in the chiller helps it cool,i believe teague,s point is 20 lbs water pressure with a -12 feed line and 2 -10 exits is moving a hugh volume of water.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guess im lost on the objective of the op's version of "bolt on", was he wanting to yank the 4 bolts off the 256 and slap a 166 lb blower in its place with a 16 rib belt ? The conversion kit appears to use 8mm cog which goes back to hoping planets are aligned when crank was born or run dampner delete on flywheel app.
Still kind of feeling the love for spinning less inertia way off the front of the crank on a stock 575 lower if piece of mind is paramount.
Ill throw it out there , thinking its subject to 28% risk crank snout failure on a stock forged production line marine app
Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by airjunky
Guess im lost on the objective of the op's version of "bolt on", was he wanting to yank the 4 bolts off the 256 and slap a 166 lb blower in its place with a 16 rib belt ? The conversion kit appears to use 8mm cog which goes back to hoping planets are aligned when crank was born or run dampner delete on flywheel app.
Still kind of feeling the love for spinning less inertia way off the front of the crank on a stock 575 lower if piece of mind is paramount.
Ill throw it out there , thinking its subject to 28% risk crank snout failure on a stock forged production line marine app
I myself, wouldnt be that worried about it. A stock forged bbc crank is a stout piece from the snout standpoint, much stronger in that area then a small block snout. The cog belt, and 871 underdriven, isnt really taking gobs of power to turn. Its not like we are talking a 71 series blower making 35lbs of boost on alcohol being grossly overdriven, and engine turning 8000rpm at the dragstrip. In that scenerio, for sure i would want a dual keyed crank.

I know many many friends with offshore boats, running 871s with single keyed cranks, and mild boost for years without issue. Also, those little blowers, when spinning at 10000 plus rotor rpm, do take quite a bit of power to turn when you start spinning them fast.

The big problem is when running cog belts, with no pop off valve. In the event of a big backfire in the manifold, you have a good chance at hurting the blower itself , or shearing the keyway. With a serpentine setup, the belt will simply slip. Blower shop and other places sell 16 rib setups for 71 series blowers as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.