Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size. >

Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size.

Notices

Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size.

On a Bravo drive, what size is the nut size on the upper swivel shaft that holds the steering lever on ? My wrenches go up to 1 inch, and my guess is either 1 1/16 or 1 1/8. Don't feel like buying a wrench on a guess.

Thx
Smitty
Old 10-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

buy both wrenches,one never has enough tools!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

You are 1/16 too short

the nut is 1 1/16 in size
Old 10-05-2015, 06:02 AM
VIP Member

Thanks Bup. I figured that's what it might be. Stupid size if you ask me.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 AM
BUP
Banned

Your welcome anytime.

Depending on access to the nut whether JR Marine method or Merc access hole plug kit, I have some special wrenches for this but they are not cheap want to say 65 to 75 bucks per one. I will have to double check. I need to get them out of storage. They worked really for that.

Don't forget when you reinstall the nut you have to tighten to a spec clearance what Merc calls for. IMO really a poor design Merc transom assemblies and shift cable.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Bup

I have my motor out so I am working from inside. Now that I know what wrench I need, I need to find a thin one or get a cheap one and grind it down. Any suggestions for that ? And how does the lower swivel come out ? My guess is get the lower one out and slide the upper one down. Also the side bolts look like a special tool is needed ? Looks like a big Torx bit ?

Thx.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-05-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Bup

I have my motor out so I am working from inside. Now that I know what wrench I need, I need to find a thin one or get a cheap one and grind it down. Any suggestions for that ? And how does the lower swivel come out ? My guess is get the lower one out and slide the upper one down. Also the side bolts look like a special tool is needed ?

Thx.
I bought a cheap wrench from lowes (1 1/16) and grinded it down! Worked like a champ and I was surprised how easy it was to grind. Thought it would be harder. I also notched out the lever bolts too.

this is JRs kit you can buy, but I grinded them myself. Had measurements somewhere on where to grind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546145[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size.-image.jpg  

Last edited by nailit; 10-05-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Bup

I have my motor out so I am working from inside. Now that I know what wrench I need, I need to find a thin one or get a cheap one and grind it down. Any suggestions for that ? And how does the lower swivel come out ? My guess is get the lower one out and slide the upper one down. Also the side bolts look like a special tool is needed ? Looks like a big Torx bit
Thx.
All that holds the lower swivel pin in is a cotter pin.

There is a hinge pin socket that Merc sells.....I just made one using a 12 point bolt of the same size of the hinge pin and welded a nut to it.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 PM
BUP
Banned

I have a special wrench that is custom made for the nut on the swivel shaft. It might be best to just pull off the whole transom assembly and work on it that way. Not hard to do at all and so much easier to work on that side of the transom assembly especially the nut for the swivel shaft.

Just make sure you install a new transom seal when reinstall the transom assembly. Plus do not forget to clean the transom exterior very well before the reinstall as well.

the hinge pins on the side of the gimbal ring might be locktited so heat them with a heat lamp or a heat gun before taking out with the hinge pin tool and proper socket for the tool..

No offense it might be best to buy Mercruiser OEM - BRAVO service manual per you year / serial number run. Best money you can ever spend and I have them used for sale. New the cost is around 99 bucks depending on which Bravo manual needed. I sell them for around 60 bucks shipped to your door.

I Would need your outdrive serial number and year model to get the proper OEM manual.

Last edited by BUP; 10-05-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You need a plumbers wrench. You can find them cheap on the internet or at good tool supply store.
Attached Thumbnails Upper swivel shaft nut wrench size.-plumbers-wrench.jpg