gpm of water to run a mercruiser on hose

Notices

gpm of water to run a mercruiser on hose

Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts
Default gpm of water to run a mercruiser on hose

Putting in a dyno at my shop plus wanting to run boats on hose from well pump. Current pump cant keep up so going to have a new well drilled. How many gallons per minute should i be looking at fory new pump, thanks, smitty
Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Congrats on your soon to be new Dyno !

I have no hard data for you but I emptied a commercial 250-300 gallon stainless 'sink' within a few minutes with Bravo pump on a dyno. With garden hose still running in to the 'sink.'

So, lack for a better measurement, around here, we'd say you need more than a schit ton. LOL.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dynos not new, norm schenk from competition fuel systems in tuscon arizona just moved to my town and we are putting it in my shop as a partnership. I guess more than running a boat on a hose, we need to be able to run a motor at wot and not run out of water
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

So...as an option like I did, I bought a used sink or wash tank or whatever that held that much water. I hooked the drain up to the inlet of the sea water pump. Issue is that it takes a bit for the garden hose to fill it. LOL. Good news was, that it was halfway easy to move outside so it wouldn't be in the way when not needed.

Good luck with the partnership !
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I like that idea, could tee a garden hose in like a flush line in the boat to start it and warm up, then close the flush make pulls off the tank.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Norm is a soft spoken engineer type who worked at university lab in arizona grinding telescope lenses for nasa, he is quoted in the holley carburetor book as a carbb expert, he uses the dyno for testing and developmental work, i get to use it as i need at no charge in return for giving him shop space, we are excited
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds great Smitty! your building quite a nice shop there Sir! hope to get by and visit with you again soon.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Norm is a soft spoken engineer type who worked at university lab in arizona grinding telescope lenses for nasa, he is quoted in the holley carburetor book as a carbb expert, he uses the dyno for testing and developmental work, i get to use it as i need at no charge in return for giving him shop space, we are excited
Good thing I have the perfect test mule for you hehe......
Old 10-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Smitty, i wanna say somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 gallons per minute would be needed
Old 10-07-2015, 03:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Merc has testing for engine side and water discharge output water volume of the water pump impeller / housing / water flow thru to the sea water pump outlet side.

Basically OEM stock bravo set ups and depending on closed cooled or not and other examples - big block or small block apps

with that said OEM stock bravo the general rule of thump Merc spec is called

SEAWATER PUMP OUTPUT TEST but the boat must be in the water (MERC specs) or IMO a huge bucket of water under the outdrive.

engine ran at 1000 rpms - sea water pump outlet hose off as another hose long enough installed then set in a large enough empty bucket - MERC basic rule of thumb for bravo apps is 15 seconds of run time at 1000 rpms needs to fill the bucket 10 qts of discharge water bare min.

Last edited by BUP; 10-07-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.