Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other? >

WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other?

Notices

WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other?

Old 10-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default WHat ECU to use, Megasquirt 2, Microsquirt, Accel 7 or other?

This winter I am converting to a efi system on my turbo motors. The carbs and draw thru system just don't mix for me anymore. What I want to run is a simple port fuel injection system. Ill be using a single plane EFI manifold with my intercooler on top. 60 lb/ hr high impedance injectors. LS1 throttle bodies on the front of the Rajay turbos. Wideband O2s in the exhaust for tuning and sanity checks. Boost set to 15 psi. . Ill be using my MSD distributor as the cam trigger and want to run the system in batch fire mode. Horsepower should be in the 600 range. I have a Megasquirt 3 system on my 86 corvette and it seems to run fine. I have been looking at the Megasquirt 2 vs the Microsquirt system. A good friend that works at Accel is recommending the Gen 7 system. He tunes the systems for Accel dealer customers so he know the ins and out of the whole gen 7 system. One of his arguments against the Megasquirt systems is if it is so good why doesn't everybody run it since it is so much cheaper. My argument is because of advertising. He will help me tune the boat no matter which system I choose but he is more familiar with the Accel system. He has sold and tuned the Accel gen 6/7 systems, the FAST systems and the BS3 systems so I have confidence that he knows how to tune the engine. I just don't know enough about them all to make a good decision. What systems have others used and why that particular system? Did you try another brand before settling on what you like now?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
This winter I am converting to a efi system on my turbo motors. The carbs and draw thru system just don't mix for me anymore. What I want to run is a simple port fuel injection system. Ill be using a single plane EFI manifold with my intercooler on top. 60 lb/ hr high impedance injectors. LS1 throttle bodies on the front of the Rajay turbos. Wideband O2s in the exhaust for tuning and sanity checks. Boost set to 15 psi. . Ill be using my MSD distributor as the cam trigger and want to run the system in batch fire mode. Horsepower should be in the 600 range. I have a Megasquirt 3 system on my 86 corvette and it seems to run fine. I have been looking at the Megasquirt 2 vs the Microsquirt system. A good friend that works at Accel is recommending the Gen 7 system. He tunes the systems for Accel dealer customers so he know the ins and out of the whole gen 7 system. One of his arguments against the Megasquirt systems is if it is so good why doesn't everybody run it since it is so much cheaper. My argument is because of advertising. He will help me tune the boat no matter which system I choose but he is more familiar with the Accel system. He has sold and tuned the Accel gen 6/7 systems, the FAST systems and the BS3 systems so I have confidence that he knows how to tune the engine. I just don't know enough about them all to make a good decision. What systems have others used and why that particular system? Did you try another brand before settling on what you like now?
Look at the holley I bought them for my self. If it does not have a self tuning ability I would not use it especially with a turbo and boost It will save a bunch of time and gas, Go on youtube and watch holley auto correct self learn. Stay away from fast xfi. And try to use hall effect sensors with crank trigger. And I would use sequential it will idle better.

One more thing if you use the throttle plates in front of the turbo make sure you have a good supply of rayjays. You will need the carbon seals to stop it from pulling oil in.

Last edited by 14 apache; 10-16-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Make sure you get injectors big enough for 800hp minimum.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

The Rajays have carbon seals already. the turbos have been on the boat for 35 years. The injectors are 60lbs/hr deka
Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I'd take a long hard look at Megasquirt pro 3,,has all the top features and can do coil on/over plug.
saw a copo camaro at Englishtown that was sponored by holley,had coil on/over plug,its computor was a fast Xfi,,makes you go hummm.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Gen7 with the pro activation and it works nice on my 413 SBC procharger setup. That said if I had to do it over again, I would probably go Holley. I did get a pretty good deal on a complete proram setup, that's why I ultimately went Accel, but the support isn't really there. I've taught myself most of what I know on it and I bet somebody else could make it run even better, but Holley looks like they take a more common sense approach to transitional tuning (toughest part of the tuning IMO). My vote would be sequential Holley with dual widebands. The Accel system does have an interesting Boost builder profile that ,my help out of the hole spool up, don't know if holley does that. My 2c.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you put throttle bodies in front of the turbos?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the Holley HP ecu running port injected batch fire, closed loop, LS3 coil on plug ignition, running Holley crank trigger, breathing through a Accel 2100 cfm dominator TB. Awesome system and easy to use, great software, awesome datalogs, real time tuning and gauges
Old 10-17-2015, 11:17 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

post # 5 about the MS Pro 3 They can be harder to tune but they now have better tech support currently to help with any of your installation and tuning problems

Last edited by BUP; 10-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by turbofox54
Why would you put throttle bodies in front of the turbos?
One benefit is when you close the throttles the turbos wont want to stop they will be in vacuum on the compressor side good for rough water throttling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.