Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Do the headers on 2001 500EFI have ports for oxygen sensors? >

Do the headers on 2001 500EFI have ports for oxygen sensors?

Notices

Do the headers on 2001 500EFI have ports for oxygen sensors?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie brings up a great point. Putting them in the tails is easier, and in most cases will give you a better reading. But you must take into account how long the tails are and where the water dumps. The O2 sensors don't like getting wet. If they do they are junk.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I found a shop locally to do mine. It's a high end shop and he explained to me what needed done which was enough to earn my confidence. It saved my the simple trouble and expense of shipping them off. $100 a pop including the bung and cap.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I recently posted a thread with some pics of bungs being welded in a set of tailpipes. I would suggest putting them in the tails instead of the headers. It's much easier to deal with the tails. We put them as close to the flange as possible. Do a search on here and you should be able to find the thread. It was posted a few months ago.

Just for reference, we get $100 per pipe. That's $25 for the bung and plug (SS) and $75 to weld it. We polish the pipe after welding so that it looks the same as it did before we welded on it. Obviously, we pressure test them as well. So, a bung in each pipe on a singe would be $200.
Eddie
Excellent how to thread !

Thanks for posting !!

Last edited by 22MTR; 10-30-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,321 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
Eddie brings up a great point. Putting them in the tails is easier, and in most cases will give you a better reading. But you must take into account how long the tails are and where the water dumps. The O2 sensors don't like getting wet. If they do they are junk.
In Eddie's thread they are put in before the water mixes so no issues. Seems like the OEM's would be doing this by now.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Its obvious you know nothing about what you read or are talking about. Eddie, in his thread showed pics of where he welded the bungs in. It was in fact, in the water jacketed part of the tail. The same place most OEM's put them. NOBODY would weld them in behind the water dumps at the end of the tails. The reason I said to consider the length and where the water dumps are in the tails, is that water will & dose in fact makes its way backward up inside the tails at idle. This is caused by cam overlap and exhaust pulses. If you run a short tail, like with silent choice going to the bull horns, or the dumps are located more inboard, you can have problems with the sensor getting wet.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Wildman_grafix;4371410]In Eddie's thread they are put in before the water mixes so no issues. Seems like the OEM's would be doing this by now.[/QUOTE
They absolutely go through the water jacket. That's why the first thing that I show is how to close up the water jacket prior to welding the bung in place. If you just look at the pics, I could see where you could draw that conclusion. If you read it, I try my best to explain exactly what I did step by step. Sorry if it wasn't clear. It' hard to put into words sometimes.
Eddie
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Young Performance;4371447]
Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
In Eddie's thread they are put in before the water mixes so no issues. Seems like the OEM's would be doing this by now.[/QUOTE
They absolutely go through the water jacket. That's why the first thing that I show is how to close up the water jacket prior to welding the bung in place. If you just look at the pics, I could see where you could draw that conclusion. If you read it, I try my best to explain exactly what I did step by step. Sorry if it wasn't clear. It' hard to put into words sometimes.
Eddie
I think maybe I was not clear. I understand where you put them, what I meant it was BEFORE the water gets dumped into the exhaust. It was pretty clear in the photos you took.

As for B, easy dude dam.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Wildman_grafix;4371478]
Originally Posted by Young Performance

I think maybe I was not clear. I understand where you put them, what I meant it was BEFORE the water gets dumped into the exhaust. It was pretty clear in the photos you took.

As for B, easy dude dam.
Sorry, now I understand what you were trying to say. I would say that we both misunderstood your post. There is NO way to put the sensor in the pipe after the water and exhaust mix. Not only would the sensor not read correctly (it would show a false lean by picking up the O2 molecules in water) but it would kill the sensor in a heartbeat.
Eddie
Old 10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Registered

A[QUOTE=Young Performance;4371522]
Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

Sorry, now I understand what you were trying to say. I would say that we both misunderstood your post. There is NO way to put the sensor in the pipe after the water and exhaust mix. Not only would the sensor not read correctly (it would show a false lean by picking up the O2 molecules in water) but it would kill the sensor in a heartbeat.
Eddie
No problem to both of you, I travel a ton for work and use the phone so sometimes type too fast.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 10-31-2015 at 12:09 PM.