Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water Flow - flush kit vs. lake >

Water Flow - flush kit vs. lake

Notices

Water Flow - flush kit vs. lake

Old 11-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

standard water pressure, possibly even on the lower side of the scale. 2 hoses, from two separate hose bibs. One each side of the house. With both wide open, they are sharing the pressure off the main line. The more I think about this, the more I feel dumb for doing it. Talked to CMI this morning, he said in 2 1/2 minutes I didnt damage anything, headers didnt turn blue, just don't do it again, and never above idle (not even a bump) while on garden hose.

That hot one (port on port motor) had only cooled for 15min or so before I fired it up again, but in the lake. Immediately was pushing lots of water out the exhaust and the header very quickly went from hot/warm to cold. I have to assume that didnt hurt anything either introducing the cooler water into the header (creating a quick cool down).....

Lesson learned for sure.....
Old 11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by imartin
Lesson learned for sure.....
Most important.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Related question. If you have this type of flush set up, is it better to run the engine on this or a good set of the muff on the drive?

Padraig
Old 11-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Absolutely use the flush kit.
With engine off, it flushes backwards out the drive any debris that is caught on that side of the water inlet. When you turn on the engine, the water goes straight into the SWP and through the motor. You don't have the risk of the SWP not priming.

"Related-related:"
Some of the factory installed fresh water flush kits have check-ball valves in the 'Tee' into the system. The check balls are a point of failure. RIP THE CHECK BALLS out of the system. They can gum up with debris, and restrict cooling sea water flow. I've seen this on multiple boats; namely: several Bajas. You don't need the check ball valve in there.
Throw your muffs away if you have this system installed.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks I suspected that was the case but never asked anyone. Never liked or trusted the muff as too much water always seemed to leak around the edges.

I think there is check built into the fitting the hose adapter is inserted into. This fitting is in the hull (side) of the boat near the stern.

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 11-10-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless the new one doesn't pump. Happened to me this year. Put on a new housing / impeller kit - just for piece of mind (old pump was working). Put boat in water, and it would not pump. Tied up to dock, and put the old pump back on - and it pumped fine. I left it in for the remainder of the summer. ....I always keep my old pumps on the boat (as long as they didn't fail) in case I lose one while traveling. i'd suggest that you do the same.

Originally Posted by eightsecmopar
I normally replace the housing also. You could pull the old housing off and inspect it but you are looking at roughly $30 for just the impeller vs. $70 for the complete kit. For the extra $40 it's all new and nothing to worry about then.