Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing? >

Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing?

Notices

Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing?

Old 11-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is filling fuel tank really necessary when winterizing?

Obviously you have to add fuel stabilizer, but is it really necessary to top off the tank before winterizing. I hear mixed opinions.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

no
Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have all was told if it gone to be setting for a while fill it less chance of building condensation. That's just what I was told by a couple mechanics
Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I suspect you'll get a 50/50 response here. Half say fill and half say no so my advice would be to half fill it!

There's arguments on both sides and they all make sense. I'll be watching here to see if there are any NEW suggestions.......

RR
Old 11-11-2015, 11:46 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

E10 attracts moisture. If you run "regular gas" then I wouldn't bother but in NJ that's probably all you can get. A 1/4 or 1/2 tank of E10 has lots of fuel and air space to attract/pull moisture out of the air (remember, your tank is vented and will pull in moist air all winter). With E10 your options are really to run it empty, or fill it nearly full (with stabilizer of course).
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I pull all fuel out of my toys before the 6 month of it sitting. I have an electric fuel pump with a ton of rubber fuel line hooked to it, and about 10+ft of electric wire with alligator clips. The inlet line has a brass fitting that goes right into the rubber line in boat that's the inlet to the fuel water sperator. Just look for any pump that you can screw threaded barb fittings into.

The fuel I remove goes right in my truck which get's driven all the time.

No extra $$$ for fuel since I use it anyway and don't have to look for a place that accepts old fuel.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Jperfect
I have all was told if it gone to be setting for a while fill it less chance of building condensation. That's just what I was told by a couple mechanics
if you insist on filling them,,tape over the vents,try to keep as much moisture out as possible.I personally drain the tanks dry.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I pull all fuel out of my toys before the 6 month of it sitting. I have an electric fuel pump with a ton of rubber fuel line hooked to it, and about 10+ft of electric wire with alligator clips. The inlet line has a brass fitting that goes right into the rubber line in boat that's the inlet to the fuel water sperator. Just look for any pump that you can screw threaded barb fittings into.

The fuel I remove goes right in my truck which get's driven all the time.

No extra $$$ for fuel since I use it anyway and don't have to look for a place that accepts old fuel.
I thought your truck was a Diesel??
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Registered

OK, I forgot to put stabilizer in my tank before I parked boat for winter, it will sit for 6 months before being fired up, is just putting stabilizer in tank when I pick it up and trailer it for 60 miles enough to correct the fuel? The tank if half full.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Location: East Texas Waterfront- running errands if anyone asks

Originally Posted by RuninaFever
Obviously you have to add fuel stabilizer, but is it really necessary to top off the tank before winterizing. I hear mixed opinions.
No way in hell I would buy 100+ gallons of this junk to set for several months. If you have access to non-ethanal, then maybe.

Originally Posted by GeeterB
OK, I forgot to put stabilizer in my tank before I parked boat for winter, it will sit for 6 months before being fired up, is just putting stabilizer in tank when I pick it up and trailer it for 60 miles enough to correct the fuel? The tank if half full.
Stabilizer will not re-condition fuel. It helps prevent further degradation. Put it in ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.