intake suggestions for 365 mag build into 420/450hp >

intake suggestions for 365 mag build into 420/450hp

Notices

intake suggestions for 365 mag build into 420/450hp

Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
The RPM is s grest intake. Same goes for the GM high rise dual plane.

Believe it or not , the Vic Jr has made more power, rpm's, top speed, and air/fuel distribution than the high rise dual planes on many 400-450hp BBC's in boats. I wouldn't have believed it either, but a few well documented cases of this being true. Yes, single engine boats also.
learned that along time ago.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking about keeping the intake and using a spacer or notching out the plennum -

I was actually was thinking about the 800cfm quick fuel - i swapped to a edelbrock carb from the stock Qjet -had issues with Qjet - really helped the motor - not a fan of "stock" holleys, but i like the QF

I dont want to lose alot of low end so i was looking to keep cam near the 225-235ish duration with 112-114 lobe sepration - also looking at split lift/duration to help on the exhaust side of this - i have straight thru hull with no baffles
Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you are going in might as well copy the HP 450 rather than the 420.
HP500 roller cam, single plane, 800 Holley, Gil Exhaust
Has a nice little rasp to it
Old 11-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup. Sweet motors.
Originally Posted by rexcramer1
As long as you are going in might as well copy the HP 450 rather than the 420.
HP500 roller cam, single plane, 800 Holley, Gil Exhaust
Has a nice little rasp to it
Old 11-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is what I did to my 420's and while some will say it is over cam'ed, it runs great and idles just fine at 700 rpms.

Everything is stock other than the following-
Crane 741 cam
Split ratio Crane Gold rockers 1.8/ 1.7 ratio
Dart Single Plane intake- (don't use the knock off dart intake, from what I could see it looks like a dart but the runner size is different, bigger)
Holley 800 (HP 500 carb) jetted to HP 500 specs.
Morel Hyd roller lifters
Gill Exhaust with Dry to tip tails.
Wilson 2" 4 hole carb spacer

I did run a smaller cam in this combo as well as an RPM intake. The cam was a reed cam, it was supposed to be around 232/237 with .578 lift on both intake and exhaust. The cam was pretty lame and I really didn't care for the performance of it at all. As for the Dart vs the RPM, the Dart was better so it stayed on. If you are using the standard Gil tails don't go bigger than the 731 cam. Also change your stock springs to Isky Sp-8005. They are a great spring that won't kill your bank account.

If you are positive you are going to switch to AFR ovals down the road, buy the Dart oval port intake, it will work on you rectangle heads. It it one of the few oval port intakes that will work on the stock rec port heads. I've also ran the AFR 265 heads on a past engine and they are an excellent head for the 454.

Good luck with your project
Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW to the op, my old engines from Innovation Marine were very similar to what you are doing with the rect heads and GM high rise dual plane. Innovation put a 2 inch open spacer on top of the intake. These were never run on a dyno but Innovation seems to know what they're doing.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts
We need a "Skank Off" to settle this dispute.

I wanna see some pix of skanks

E32.... Can a formula pull as hot of skanks as the Beak brotherhood

GAME ON

Last edited by endeavor1; 11-27-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I'm E1 not E32
Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
FWIW to the op, my old engines from Innovation Marine were very similar to what you are doing with the rect heads and GM high rise dual plane. Innovation put a 2 inch open spacer on top of the intake. These were never run on a dyno but Innovation seems to know what they're doing.
This is true, putting an open spacer on a dual plane can add good hp, however, just as an fyi, air/fuel distribution get's fubard even more. Reason why it makes more power is a dual plane intake only lets each cylinder see air from two throttle bores vs all four. The open spacers lets each cylinder draw fom all four. Also, since a dual plane cuts the plenum in half, the air 'reservoir' is quite small. Most carburetors placed on dual plane intakes are sized too small. If you take the same engine but switch intakes only, the dual plane could use a bigger carburetor than the single plane. It's just physics.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
My engines right now pull to guess what...... 5200 rpms, just like I was told they would from some one that knows far more than you ever will. The heads are wrong and the compression is too low, BUT it is an improvement over the reed cams. The BB2 heads I bought from Kevin had way to big of chambers, 122 cc, I asked if they had been milled I was told no. When I took them to the machine shop i was told they were milled to the max and I could not make the chambers smaller. So this is why I sold them. My compression would have been way too low and my engines would have been dogs.
Yes, I am sure the 4cc chamber size increase on those cnc brodix BB2's, would have been detrimental to the build combination you have there. The added flow from those heads, better designed combustion chamber, and ports, would have totally made it a "dog". Good thing you kept the stock 1960s iron rectangles. Sounds like you have some really sharp guys advising you on your engine endeavors .
Old 11-28-2015, 01:12 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
This is true, putting an open spacer on a dual plane can add good hp, however, just as an fyi, air/fuel distribution get's fubard even more. Reason why it makes more power is a dual plane intake only lets each cylinder see air from two throttle bores vs all four. The open spacers lets each cylinder draw fom all four. Also, since a dual plane cuts the plenum in half, the air 'reservoir' is quite small. Most carburetors placed on dual plane intakes are sized too small. If you take the same engine but switch intakes only, the dual plane could use a bigger carburetor than the single plane. It's just physics.
These came with 830 cfm Holleys. They had the choke mechanism removed right from Holley but the tower was still there. List 9381

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.