Engine/Outdrive Swapout

Notices

Engine/Outdrive Swapout

Old 12-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't forget

Originally Posted by 1 MAIDEN AMERICA
Don't forget to add time for broken bolts, to clean electrical connections, change impellers, plugs, whatever, lube linkages, clean and grease splines, liquid electrical paint/dielectric grease connections, install floor/seat coverings, clean bilge, the extra guy helping remove hatch and align engine, filling stripped wood screws, the drive to the lake, launching, running, and returning to shop, looking up, ordering, checking in parts, running computer checks, set timing, fix all the crap the last hack did, and ?????
With that I'd say:
remove prop, drain drive, pull drive-30 minutes
clean bellhousing area, bellows, input/output splines, bolt corrosion-1 hour
grease everything, reinstall, fill drive-1 hour
cover/protect body/seats-1/2 hour
remove hatch with 2 people-15 minutes X2 = 1/2 hour
ready engine for removal-1.5 hours
remove engine with 2 people-1/2 hour X2 = 1 hour
clean bilge-1 hour
change plugs, cap, rotor, wires, impeller-2 hours
clean/fix misc-1 hour
reinstall engine with helper-45 minutes X2 = 1.5 hours
finish reinstalling engine, adjusting linkages-3 hours
reinstall hatch with 2 people-1/2 hour X2 = 1hour
test run engine at shop-1 hour
drive to lake, launch, park, run, retrieve, drive back-3 hours
looking up, ordering parts-1 hour
17-20 hours in about ideal conditions/same engine going back in-not too much corrosion, no broken bolts, grounds, etc, boat has fuel, owner told you about special switch under dash to start engine, trailer wiring doesn't need a special bayou connector and has air in the tires, ????
The owner and his buddy rigged a few things in less than 12 beers and oh did he tell you about the electrical gremlins?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Buckknekkid! i got my final bill and it was 69 hours times $125/hr = $8,625 plus $2,000 in parts. and it's still not running correctly. i have a stall out issue that needs to be fixed. and he's going to charge more for that.

After reading all your comments, i'm mad as hell and i think im going to take some legal action. ill keep you posted!
Old 01-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered

Thanks Maiden!

This will help in my legal action!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

These threads pop up from time to time.....

On the one hand, time can really get away from you if
You're dealing with rusted bolts, etc......

On the other hand I am not a merc trained mechanic and can singlehandedly have my drives off, crane set up, hatch off, and both motors sitting on my garage floor before lunch, and can drop them back in just as quickly with zero help from anyone....

These threads always make me think - 69 hours is almost two straight work weeks. 8-5, M-F. Seems like a LOT could be accomplished if your only job was working on a boat for two weeks
Old 01-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Registered

There were no rusted bolts, or anything difficult about this job...in fact both motors were in the respected boats a couple of years at most, and no salt water...I'm a fair person but this makes me mad!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

69 hours would be fine if he was charging 10 bucks an hour.
At 125 an hour he should be top shelve. I'm an amateur and I pulled both mine in about 5 hours not hurrying.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Registered

Thanks. I hope that any mechanics that read this will respond with their thoughts and let me know they are mechanics, so I can use this in a court of law. I don't want anyone else to be ripped off by this unscrupulous mechanic!

Thanks to anyone that is willing to help!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Crook..
Old 01-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

All of the labor should have laid out prior to him working on the boats. Any additional charges should have needed your written approval.

You signed the service order and gave him a blank check. You have no recourse.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Registered

What makes you think I signed a service order? I went on his word that I would be taken care of. He was recommended by Dustin Whipple, so I put my trust in him. Only after getting the final bill and I started asking around, did I realize he has a reputation for doing this to customers. They call him "one and done".

You are right about one thing...the labor should have been laid out prior to starting...I did ask him a couple of times to estimate, but he said he won't know until he pulled it apart...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.