Best STARTING battery???

Notices

Best STARTING battery???

Old 09-19-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Best STARTING battery???

Okay gang,

Which company produces the best starting battery out there for Marine use? I heard that a DEEP Cycle battery is NOT want you want, but rather a battery that has HIGH CRANKING AMPS! I was told that DEEP cycle batteries are more for stereos and accessory use, but not for starting use.

The reason why I ask is because I need to go buy two new STARTING batteries-----a battery that is NOT a whimp! I can only use the smaller 10" long batteries---my battery mounts cannot accomodate a large battery.

Any of you guys have lots of experience when it comes to a good starting battery?

BTW, contrary to popular demand, the Sear's Die Hard I was told is NOT the best starting battery out there---don't really know how much truth that holds or not though.

Thanks

Last edited by KAAMA; 09-19-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Blue Marine Optimas were my solution I have been very happy with them so far. No maintanince or problems. Plus you can get the nice Eddie Marine boxes to fit them. With 2 Batts & 2 boxes my initial investment was close to $500 a bit pricey but to me worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Best STARTING battery???-pq-rebuild-030.jpg  
Old 09-19-2002, 08:31 AM
ursus

Got mine at Wallymart, good value, 3 years never failed to start, dunno if the are the "Best". They sell both marine deep cycle and marine starting. Get the starting if you have one battery/engine, add a deep cycle if you have a 3 battery system.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:55 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. I have a total of THREE batteries in my boat. Each engine has their own battery and the third battery is for accessories which is relatively new. My boat is set up for Shore Power with an on-board battery charging system. Plus, with my battery switches, I have several options of what I can do as far what battery I choose to do a certain function via the battery terminals.

Anyone else have the goods on which battery is one of the better starting batteries? Thanks

BTW, I prefer to find a battery that I can get at a local store and that is readily available.

Last edited by KAAMA; 09-19-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its kinda up to you on how much you want to spend.

Yes the Optimas/Orbital/ect...(if you turn them upside down, which you can do because they are completly sealed, they look like 6 big "D" cell batteries grouped together) are the best you can buy, without question. They run about $140 for the starting and $160 for the deep cycle.

But honestly most people dont need that much reliabilty. The best battery for your money would probably be the Exide 1000(cranking amps) for about $60 with trade in. I have personally used that battery for 6 years and finally had to replace it. 1-year free replacement warranty, 36 month pro-rated.

Now if you do have electronics that you will run without the engine running you will want a deep cycle battery. All of Exide Marine Deep Cycle batteries are starting batteries also, doesnt mean you have to use them that way, but its just an added feature. So if you leave your stereo on at a beach or something you would probably want that dual purpose battery. These run from about $80-$100. 1-year free replacement warranty, 36 month pro-rated

One thing you might want to keep in mind, when you go to different places to buy batteries you might just be looking at the same battery in a different case. Our Exide rep explained to me that there is only four battery manufactures in the U.S. For example Exide is made by a company that makes 4 other batteries, also like, Die Hard isnt made by Sears.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Registered

Mark,

Does the Exide 1000 starting battery (non-deepcylce) have caps to add water for maintenance or not? I'm not sure if I need one with the water fills, I prefer a low maintenance battery though. Thanks again
Old 09-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Several years ago consumer's reports did a study on batteries. The first batch of batteries were all junk. None of them could meet their rated CCA. When they broke the date codes it was found that several batteries were over a year old. Some may have been over two. The second batch of batteries were better because they deliberetly looked for a new, fresh battery. Of all the batteries in the second batch the AC Delco battery was the only one to exceed it's CCA rating. As I recall, it also ranked highly in the other catagories as well.

Think of a new car purchase. That original OEM battery always lasts for more than 5 years. The ones after that are always less. That's because the OEM battery when installed is only a month or so old. Who knows how old the replacement battery is.

Ultimatly, I run two AC Delco dual purpose deep cycle/starting marine batteries. The dual purpose battery isn't as good as a dedicated single purpose battery, but in a application like mine the weight/space/cost savings over dedicated batteries is well worth it.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Cord has a great point about dates, definietly look for them. Exide puts on all their batteries the date of manufacture. While working at Boaters World, if the batteries didnt sell fast enough(which didnt happen often) they wouldnt sit more than 9 or 6(cant exactly remember) months with out getting rotated by Exide.

The Exide 1000 does have caps to fill, I never used them but they do have them. All batteries that I have see you can fill, except Gel Cell and the new Optima/Orbital batteries. Now remember with a 1year free replacement warranty, if you have a problem you can swap it out for a new one. But you shouldnt have any problems. What really kills starting batteries is when you run them down(leave a switch on, or the stereo on etc...) and try to bring them back, it might come back once or twice but that is what you definetly dont want to do. While at Boaters World for 3 years I sold on average about 8-10 pallets(about 200 batt.) a year of these batteries because they would do a special from Jan-April for $49.99 and I maybe saw 10 come back and most were user error not battery error.

Personally if I was in your shoes, I would buy two Exide 1000's for the engines and a Exide deep cycle 120 or 140 minutes reserve(cant exactly remember) which again does have starting capabilities of 630 cranking amps. Both of the these batteries are Group 24 (the smaller ones).
Old 09-19-2002, 10:06 AM
liquid lounge

Kamma-Check this months CONSUMER REPORTS, they just did a big test on batteries. Almost all of the Diehards fared really well and were recommended. I was kind of shocked that the very trick looking Optima was a ways down the list...guess you don't always get what you pay for?! BTW- Hows the babe situation......? take care, Berg

Old 09-19-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

my personal experience has been that the high priced batts (optima, etc) fail just as often and unpredictibly as the rest.

Most recent experience is with a West Marine (stores all over the place here in so cal) 1000mca starting battery and interstate deep cycles for the access.....I have used this combo all season (starting a locked in timing blower motor) with no drama....

Using the more economical batteries I don't flinch too much at just proactively replacing them at the beginning of each season...

on the hotboat.net boards there was extensive discussion recently and Trojan batteries appear to be another cost effective recommendation...

happy cranking......

Quick Reply: Best STARTING battery???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.