Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Battery explodes! Why? >

Battery explodes! Why?

Notices

Battery explodes! Why?

Old 12-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

One of the kids that runs around our marina had a really nice older wakeboard boat he absolutely loved. Because of his driving record he did not have insurance on it.

Cheap Chinese battery charger burned it to the waterline one night .
Old 12-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

If you guys ran those boats occasionally instead of rafting up and playing stereo wars all day you wouldn't need to change those batteries.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

My opinion; I use name brand chargers, no HF stuff except on a stand alone battery. Keep all the bats in the boat, lawn mower, etc connected to 3-stage chargers every year. Putting a charger on a timer, I've never tried it should work. Only issue I could think of is the connected charger while not turned on could put a slight drain on the battery, how much depends on the charger.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Batteries short out on there own too. Have had many(10-12?) melted/'blown up' at the shop that the alternators where fine and batteries where not on chargers.

MY IMHO is that if the batteries are left in the boat, charge them up full, and undo the + cable to each battery, before the boat get's stored.

If batteries are inside, charge them here and there, every month or two or three is fine, and unhook when done.

I've seen enough melt, 'blow up' that I do not leave them on a charger when I'm not around. ie: at night, or if gone for the day, or etc....and speaking of which, when charging I make sure to walk by one in a while and touch the top and side of the battery to make sure they are not real hot.

A melted / 'blown up' battery suks bad ! Had to evacuate the shop for a few hrs once. Bad stuff !
Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my gibson stays in the water sometimes for a couple seasons at a time, charger is on 24/7 with the xantex never had a issue, just pulled it this year and removed batteries, saw they were from 07, unreal...pepboys brand !! before I changed to the smart charger killed batteries regularly. Had a friend install a new xantx charger a few years ago after seeing how well mine worked, only lasted a couple of years..guess chinese made now ?? anyway tried a couple of harbor freight chargers(which I have used several with only one failure) and had a battery meltdown just as you described a month ago, no idea what happened, amazing boat did not burn...

Last edited by ezstriper; 12-20-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
My opinion; I use name brand chargers, no HF stuff except on a stand alone battery. Keep all the bats in the boat, lawn mower, etc connected to 3-stage chargers every year. Putting a charger on a timer, I've never tried it should work. Only issue I could think of is the connected charger while not turned on could put a slight drain on the battery, how much depends on the charger.
I dont think its always the charger, some cases i think its the battery. A $125 Schumacher burned my shop down.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I dont think its always the charger, some cases i think its the battery. A $125 Schumacher burned my shop down.
Some times stuff just happens
Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I just remembered a number of years ago a golf cart battery exploded when I stepped on the pedel to start it. This was a gasoline engine power one where you push the pedel and it starts. Scared the crap out of me thinking some one just shot a gun next to me. Hot summer usage guessing it gasssewd out and the engine spark set it off.