496ho exhaust

Notices

496ho exhaust

Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496ho exhaust

A little help needed choosing ex/man
Had to remove one of my ex/man today so I could get to the starter motor on a twin 496 ho installation , a
The main power cable had somehow come loose , I couldn't believe the weight of the manifould so I am looking to replace with stainless/m or EMI thunder .or Dana .
This is only a 28 ft boat so sits low at the rear in the water , I know from some of the threads I have read not to expect much in the way of performance gains which is the loudest , I like loud ! And the Dana look nice but which is best or are they much the same any help would be great .paul
Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 405 Likes on 241 Posts

IMO I would try to find a new set of stock 496 aluminum manifolds. There really won't be any performance gain by going aftermarket on a stock engine.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paul buckner
A little help needed choosing ex/man
Had to remove one of my ex/man today so I could get to the starter motor on a twin 496 ho installation , a
The main power cable had somehow come loose , I couldn't believe the weight of the manifould so I am looking to replace with stainless/m or EMI thunder .or Dana .
This is only a 28 ft boat so sits low at the rear in the water , I know from some of the threads I have read not to expect much in the way of performance gains which is the loudest , I like loud ! And the Dana look nice but which is best or are they much the same any help would be great .paul
The Dana's sound great and look pretty sharp for a manifold. I don't know you will gain much on a stock motor for the money though as said above.
Here is how mine sound on the shop floor with Raylar 525 kits installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-_wo3q9Xn0
Old 12-14-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds nice! Not ear splitting just a nice rumble.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Here is what my 454 sounds like with the aluminum 496 exhaust on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R992sxu8V8U
Old 12-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
IMO I would try to find a new set of stock 496 aluminum manifolds. There really won't be any performance gain by going aftermarket on a stock engine.
I agree. This is what I have done. I also have pulled the turbulators and extended the stock risers 12". This is the most you can get bang for your buck. If you do have the coin for aftermarket exhaust go with the Dana's or a header, CMI or Lightning.