Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Future magazine article >

Future magazine article

Notices

Future magazine article

Old 09-20-2002, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now read all 3 articles and I think you did a great job. A lot of the guys, as you have noticed are very knowledgeable. I however am not when it comes to engines. After reading your SBC book cover to cover 10 times I think I have a good idea! I found your articles easy to read and understand even if you are a motor moron like myself. Good job and keep up the good work, the magazine is my favorite of the boating magazines.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:02 PM
Charter Member # 1083
Charter Member

Very good article, I think that if you have the cut away pictures of a manifold (such as those in your book) it will help everyone understand the need to seperate cylinders and how some manufactures did not do a very good job at that.

BTW, I love your book! I call it my BIBLE.

Bob
Old 09-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Budman, Milord + Bob

Budman
Yes you can get back issues. Give them a call. I don't know about H pipes. The Mercruiser through the transom exhaust with Silent Choice running through the Y pipe (prop) would have to be considered an H pipe setup.
We are going to test the FPB Magazines 500HP Baja this winter with a Corsa's Captains Call. We will find out then!

Milord
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Bob
I had to leave something out so you would buy the magazine! The article has good photos including excellent cutaways of some exhaust manifolds (including the GLM).

Thanks
Dennis

Old 09-20-2002, 06:12 PM
SLP

First rate as always !

Sam

Old 09-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Registered

Dennis: I have seen lot's of stuff written about installing new exhaust manifolds/risers. BUT I have never seen a comparison of different systems/manufactures with a price/performance comparison....If you really want to do something that would be usefull and different a test on exhaust silencers would be GREAT! I have never seen one before that lists price/performance (HP/SPEED) AND Sound level reduction.....The cost here is monumental and the issue of quality of consruction is usually not. ALSO how about doing the articles with some basic motors and listing results....Like a Stock 350 and a mild to hot 350 (325-400hp). Then do the same with a 454/502 stock and mild. Doing this would be more real world. Alot of stuff really isn't "Bang for the buck" if your stock or mild. What will help a worked over motor and what will help a stock motor is different. And on a stock motor a $1500-2000 exhaust system may yield only small results where as a worked over motor may really wake up with the same system..... Some real tests and comparisons (similar to Hot Rod or Car Craft) would be a HUGE upgrade over articles written to a small group of people. This would GREATLY enhance your Magizine AND set it apart from the rest.....

Bad-Habit

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 09-20-2002 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Exhaust tips

Dear Bad Habit'

This winter we are going to set up our Baja to test different exhaust tips.

I don't think anyone will ever do a direct comparison between the horsepower differences of different aftermarket exhaust manifolds. We can only test aftermarket manifolds against the stock manifolds.

There is so much brand loyalty (and emotions) between boaters and the products (that they install on their boats) that the results would be too controversial to print!

We can always be sure that a low life attorney will cause all sorts of problems for the magazine if a manufacturer doesn't like the outcome of the tests.

Life with litigation, thank you attorneys!

Dennis Moore

Old 09-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Here's and idea?

What about propositioning the manufacturers to test their products against one another? I bet they will run away with their tales between their legs. Now this would put them to the test, and would make them stand behind their product, cause some competition, and maybe even make them go back to the drawing board to improve designs. It may also keep cost's competitve. If the cheaper manifold is proven to make more power then why not buy it. The only time I have seen comparisions like this done was at one of my local dyno shops.

I know what you're saying about loyalty, and lawsuits and what not. But can't it be done somehow? I mean consumer reports does it all the time. Even companies crash cars to see how well they fair. Guarantee that if a so called power making manifold or headder does not prove itself on the dyno compared to other brands there will be some redesign. For the prices that we are paying for these darn things we should be entitled to compare?

What do you all think?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:33 PM
envision

Dennis,

Speaking of an actual test boat, I was very interested in the articles that Family Performance Boating did on the 65 hp 500EFI kit and the Vortech Supercharger but there was no before and after results.

Any chance of following up with the results like on the Baja? The MSD article was great.

envision

Old 09-22-2002, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis,

Great artical! As you know, you have some very good cut-away examples of stock manifolds as well as high performance manifolds in your BBC book that work very well in visualizing your points. You also show a photo of a manifold that would appear to be a high performance manifold but has a insuffiecient length divider fin between 5 & 7 as compared to the photo of the Gil which does not have the same problem. I guess the answer to the consumer considering purchasing "high performance" manifolds is to study a cut-away of the product prior to ordering.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Got cutaways (got milk?)

Dear Playn
The magazine article will have some cutaways and other photos. I had to leave something out or you guys wouldn't buy the mag!
Dennis

Quick Reply: Future magazine article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.