Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Future magazine article >

Future magazine article

Notices

Future magazine article

Old 09-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Manifolds

The point I was trying to make in the book was that if you are buying exhaust MANIFOLDS then you should buy a design that has the 5+7 and 8+4 cylinders separated as well as possible.

I think that any attempt to separate the cylinders will show that the designer of the manifolds had some idea of what he was trying to accomplish and understood the theory behind exhaust systems.

If you are going to spend the extra money for exhaust HEADERS like the excellent CMI or KE systems you don't need to worry about it. I guess it is all about your boating budget.

Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 09-22-2002, 06:57 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago another mag (I think it was HB) did a comparison test ..and I belive they used a dyno on several of the popular manifolds and headers. I cant remember all the stats but the Lightning tube headers came out on top..and I bought em. Traded off my Imcos that were on and did notice a big difference in mid range.
A real world comparison ...possibly on your Baja test boat would be a good article...or you could use my Warlock

Dan
Old 09-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Dennis,

The pictures of the cut-away exhaust manifolds in your book; "BBC marine Performance" were very beneficial and knowledgable----wished you had more cut-aways of more manifolds brands so we could see who's who in the exhaust manifold world.------I know----it's the attorney thing.

But hey Dennis, we (the consumer) will tell them that we're all on YOUR side!
Old 09-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Kaama

Hey Kaama,

The new 496 Mercruiser has a *****in aluminum exhaust manifold! It looks like a high performance manifold with separate exhaust passages. If you ever get a chance check one out, I am going to get one of those and cut it away for a magazine article. Maybe Mercruiser will be a player in the performance manifold game!

Sincerely
Dennis

Old 09-24-2002, 01:10 AM
Tejas Raz

In reference to the H-pipe. There was a company in Longbeach, Ca. I believe who manufactured an H-pipe setup and some other interesting pieces. They were called Fast Motorsports and had a web site. But I just tried calling it up and it doesn't appear to work anymore. www.fastmotorsports.com Did they go out of business? Anyone know? I was interested in their A-R Planes.

Interesting article Dennis. One of the reasons that Familiy & Performance Boating has been my favorite for a couple of years!

Really do wish you wouldn't be so P.C. though. It's dissappinting when compared to the cylinder head database noted in another thread by High Performance Chevy magazine. If they can do it, why can't someone in marine publishing do it? This industry needs some shaking up. Too stagnant in technology and pricing is rediculous. For those on the lower end and or new to boating especially, many of the parts are just pipe dreams because of cost. If it was more realistic, the sales/production volume would go up. Last time I checked... That means higher profits to the manufaturers.

Just a pea-brained thought,
Scott

Old 09-24-2002, 09:55 AM
Dennis Moore

Default Pea brained? I don't think so!

Excellent points! Before I started writing for FPB I would seldom read a boating magazine because the projects and advice were out of my budget, totally unrealistic for the average boater. I think that FPB magazine is unlike any other boating magazine and we are feeling our way through, not knowing how far to push conventional thinking. The Ford thing will be unique, along with the small block Chevy buildup we are doing over the next few months (everybody does Big Blocks!). Technical articles are what we are going to live (or die) by. Check out the prices on the GLM exhaust manifolds that increased performance, good values there. If you want to see how far we go out on the limb check out the rather brutal article we did on the MSD in the Sept 2002.

If you only knew me you would know that I am very opinionated and I am doing my best to shake up the industry! I really have to hold back at times!
The industry is stagnant and won't change until Mercruiser gets a little competition. I believe that the Japanese outboard manufacturers will (unfortunately) blow Mercury outboards out of the water. It's a shame that Mercury OB engineers can't build something a little more innovative!

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
Politically Correct?

Last edited by Dennis Moore; 09-24-2002 at 09:58 AM.

Old 09-24-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Perhaps Bombadier (spelling?) will shake things up with competition with Mercury since they took over OMC or whoever it was (can't remember now). Anyway, I heard those boys don't mess around. That will get Merc off their higher than mighty arse!
Old 09-24-2002, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Kamma,
You're right, Bombardier is a leader in everything they do. so let's see the new outboards and sterndrives. An industry without any real competition in it is blah. Same goes for Yamaha, step-up and race those things!
Old 09-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Bombardier, Yeh!

I think you are both right, when Bombardier gets going it will be looking backwards at everyone else. If they hand the engineers a clean sheet of paper to design new engines they will be very hard to compete with!
Dennis
PS sounds like you guys are snomobilers, me too!

Last edited by Dennis Moore; 09-24-2002 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-24-2002, 03:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Microsoft their A$$

I think Merc. needs a little taste of Microsoft. Does anyone spell monopoly? Lets see, you have Mercruiser, Mercury, Force, Baja, Searay just to name a few. They are all owned by the same damn company (Brunswick Corp). Part of the reason that Baja SeaRay, and Bayline all come with Merc Power. I wonder what kind of deals are going on there?

Quick Reply: Future magazine article

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.