Roller Cam Bearings?

Notices

Roller Cam Bearings?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Probably oil bleed off I would have to think, like the rest of bearings oil is limited to them, not sure how that works with roller cam bearings though as far as keeping oil in them and still provide for rockers and springs.
I don't think they have oil holes in them fed from oil splash.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Why changing the block to the new one?
.600 raised cam = no grinding rods.
10.6 deck = a lot less side loading on the piston with a big boy crank
Donovan pan rails = much better windage
And if you ever seen a Dart Race series block you would know it's a bad mofo and I just had to have it.
At this point I'll have a clean slate blank hull so it just made sense to to purchase the block. Machine shop bought it for a guy and the guy stuck them with the block. So I purchased it for a lot less than WD cost.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered

I don't think they have oil holes in them fed from oil splash.
That is correct. So it would improve oiling to the top end.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
.600 raised cam = no grinding rods.
10.6 deck = a lot less side loading on the piston with a big boy crank
Donovan pan rails = much better windage
And if you ever seen a Dart Race series block you would know it's a bad mofo and I just had to have it.
At this point I'll have a clean slate blank hull so it just made sense to to purchase the block. Machine shop bought it for a guy and the guy stuck them with the block. So I purchased it for a lot less than WD cost.
I was going to do just what your talking now. But the two of everything oil pans belt drives and new connecting rods I had to stop.
Sounds like a nice build does it have keyway lifter bores? And now what crank and rods you going to use?
Old 12-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Registered

I was going to do just what your talking now. But the two of everything oil pans belt drives and new connecting rods I had to stop.
Sounds like a nice build does it have keyway lifter bores? And now what crank and rods you going to use?
I feel your pain. I'm probably going to run the .937 Jesel tall bodies i already have (probably). Callies Crank and rods. Was considering the Molnar rods but having a set of pins that are almost double what the price of the rods are didn't sit very well. Everything was already bought and ready to go into the 10.2 block. I'll just buy a new belt and plate for the belt drive. Luckily the pan I had made has the Donovan pattern on it. All in all the change isn't to hard on the wallet. But if I had two motors I wouldnt even consider making the change.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I feel your pain. I'm probably going to run the .937 Jesel tall bodies i already have (probably). Callies Crank and rods. Was considering the Molnar rods but having a set of pins that are almost double what the price of the rods are didn't sit very well. Everything was already bought and ready to go into the 10.2 block. I'll just buy a new belt and plate for the belt drive. Luckily the pan I had made has the Donovan pattern on it. All in all the change isn't to hard on the wallet. But if I had two motors I wouldnt even consider making the change.
I think those pan rails are spread apart on that block so you might need a wide pan rail pan for that.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do the cam bearings have to do with oiling the rockers and springs?
I have rarely seen roller bearings in a drag race motor. Most of the ones I've seen have been in circle track stuff.
withe the reg bearing oil travels around cam and thru hole in bearings(why the oil holes must lined up) and that is the feed to the heads for rockers etc, roller bearing loose oil pressure at the cam it would seem to me and not supply as much up the the heads, now in drag race apps some engine builders run no oil to heads and only pour enough to lube everything for 1 run and know the valve covers are coming off after every run to ck springs etc...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of guys have e gone from roller cam bearings back to babbitt because of valve train harmonics.. I personally have never seen any gains from the roller bearings. I know that in some cases babbitt bearings have shown more power. I would also not consider shimming cam bearings.
The heads are fed oil via the lifters which is a different oil circuit than the cam bearings. Cam bearings are usually fed after the mains and that's the end of that run and should have no effect on oil going to the top end. Also, roller cam bearings are splash fed, not pressurized like a babbitt bearing. Personally, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over a roller cam bearing as long as everything else is right like spring pressures, a forgiving cam lobe, the biggest push rods you can run and spot-on rocker geometry. Don't get caught up in thinking that just because you already have something, it's a good idea to use it just to save some $$$. If it's the wrong part, the money you think you might be saving could end up costing you way more in the long run. I will also add this: upgrading to the larger cam journal (and larger base circle)is one of the best upgrades you can do to an endurance engine. It would be a shame to have the potential of this new block (they made the cam tunnel that size for a reason) and not use it. Problem may be that you aren't running a big enough cam to really take advantage of it and in fact, there may not be a large journal core with a lobe small enough for you to use. What are your current cam specs?

Last edited by horsepower1; 12-21-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Registered

I already have a 55mm cam with a 60mm barrel on it. Sourcing a 60mm cam core is not a big deal. I could have the cam in my hands tomorrow if I wanted it. But what really is to gain? .472/.465 lobes

The Race blocks actually come with a DRCE2 housing bore which is smaller the 55mm I had it opened up and was going to run a 60mm cam then my brain started working and I asked myself is it really worth it...
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have a 55mm cam with a 60mm barrel on it. Sourcing a 60mm cam core is not a big deal. I could have the cam in my hands tomorrow if I wanted it. But what really is to gain? .472/.465 lobes

The Race blocks actually come with a DRCE2 housing bore which is smaller the 55mm I had it opened up and was going to run a 60mm cam then my brain started working and I asked myself is it really worth it...
If you're starting with a round lobe core then the lobe size isn't really an issue. The only real benefit is stability and I don't think you can get too much of that in these off shore deals, especially in something high end like you're building. If the bore is already there and the 60 is in your budget, then I'd say go for it and use a babbitt bearing. What size lifter are you running? Might as well go .937 at that point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.