Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Roller Cam Bearings? >

Roller Cam Bearings?

Notices

Roller Cam Bearings?

Old 12-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested to hear about destroyed plain cam bearings. Also not sure why rolling element bearings in a cam would be a big deal, like previously mentioned rolling element bearings are at use in the two stroke world all over with 10k+ rpm service being the norm.

I suspect anyone what can't find the right bearing hasn't called Timken.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the past several years I have set up and maintained an assortment of fans/ blowers that run 24 7, if properly balanced and clearanced they run for years, if not , maybe weeks. Granted these are not needle bearings but I have to think the same principles apply.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of high rpm high HP engines running babbitt bearings. I've built a few myself and personally never used a roller cam bearing. If you're wiping out babbitt cam bearings there's something else fundamentally wrong.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Sonny's 565 and a reher/morrison big chief 565 top sportsman engines a few years back, one dynoed @ 955, the other @1025 neither used roller cam bearings. The only reason they came about was to remove internal friction to pick up that last couple of HP in prostock engines where 5 hp might keep you from qualifying. That whole deal got totally out of hand when they started turning 500 inch motors way north of 11,000, and some changed valve springs after every pass..
Old 12-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

That 5 extra hp may make the difference in having 996 hp and 1001 hp.

Can't say you make over 1000hp at 996hp.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience with roller cam bearings? Good or bad... Brand used ect. ect.

I fell across a deal on a new block I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I already purchased a cam and it will not fit in the block unless I go to a roller bearing. At this point that's what I'm doing just wondering if anyone has any usefull experience with roller bearings in a marine application.
Hows the new block?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Hows the new block?
After getting the block in my hands and thoroughly examining it. I have to say I don't think I will ever use a Big M block (in a boat) again. It's a totally different casting (very nice casting). Looks like it has more nickel in the material. Everything in the block is beefier all the way down to the main caps. Pan rails, bores and cam tunnel are already clearanced. For big stroke. At the end of the day the price of the block isn't that bad considering no clearance work needs done and you end up with a much better block. The only thing I'm not to sure on at this point is running roller bearings in the block. The cam tunnel is different then the big m. It's completely closed on top and has a minimal opening on the crank side so I'm not sure how the bearings will see any splash oiling. What did I get myself into?...
Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

lifters get oil,so they'll leak into the tunnel.plus the crank will throw oil up there.and if you really concerned,drill holes up from the crank journals of bring oil from the front or back lifter journals,plumb it from the lifter valley.
your running a dry sump on this I assume.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:07 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Absolutely no experience here, just round table thinking out loud talk.

The lifters and cam lobes are getting oiled right ? Of course...so, this could be plenty of oil getting to the cam bearing.

Back to 2 strokes and roller bearing connecting rod and cranks, remember, they are using 60:1 - 70:1 fuelil ratios now. This means the roller bearings are seeing 60 to 70 parts fuel to 1 part oil, and surviving. Also remember, this is all in crankcase 'windage mist' - no splash and no direct oiling. Fuel is a cleaner, not to mention the stergents in pump fuel and the dtergents in the oil itself. Yes, some of us older blowhards are modifying our oil systems to get back to old school 50:1 ratios with our 2 strokes, but this is more for piston protection. These are spinning 8000-10,000 crank rpm vs camshafts which in a 4 stroke the cam spins 1/2 crank speed.

The only roller crank bearing failures in 2 trokes are usually because they are not large enough for the forces they see. In these applications, when larger bearings are used, problems go away. Anyone tell that I'm a Polaris guy ? Hah !

Ending my out loud thinking, I would call Dart. Your worry may become a non worry....Hopefully. LOL.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
lifters get oil,so they'll leak into the tunnel.plus the crank will throw oil up there.and if you really concerned,drill holes up from the crank journals of bring oil from the front or back lifter journals,plumb it from the lifter valley.
your running a dry sump on this I assume.
Great point! Don't no where my head was. Yes it is dry sump and will see vacuum. They closed lifter valley on the block does have oil crossovers built into it. I was thinking of tapping into the crossover and doing some sort of sprayers on the bearings. But you are correct the lifters should dump plenty of oil on there own...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.