Iron VS Aluminum heads >

Iron VS Aluminum heads

Notices

Iron VS Aluminum heads

Old 01-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I'm building a set of 509 MPI's and since the GM heads were junk, I started looking at replacement options and these came up in conversation. Thanks for the info, they seem like a viable option for the owner to consider.
They have the CH454A head which is the heads i purchased. Those are the raised exhaust port, copies of the old RHS / Protoplines. They also have a CH502 head, which is meant to be a replacement for the stock GM /Merc head. That head is almost 50 bucks cheaper at around 385 dollars per casting bare.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I noticed, was I had to run a richer AFR with a iron headed super charged engine. That is comparing same builds, whereas the only difference was iron eagles vs. brodix, everything else being identical.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
I understand, and totally agree, thats why I run aluminum heads. I Also run my motors at a constant 140*. My question was for those who stated that they want to keep more heat in the head, by going with iron, or doing whatever to keep heat in. But yet run no water temps.
Lets say your water jacket is at 200 degrees regardless of material type. The iron head will make more power because it will keep more heat in the chamber than the aluminum.

Now lets say you increase compression/boost etc. The aluminum head is still okay at 200, but the iron head needs to come down to 140 to avoid issues. Now you increase more, and the aluminum head needs to come down to 140 and the iron head either needs more octane or to be richened up to avoid issues. I think that is where aluminum starts to have an advantage and why cooling temps come down. Yes you start increasing heat transfer but you have to to allow the other big performance changes to occur safely.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:25 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
575sci had iron.

Im not suggesting iron is better, im just suggesting that sometimes we cant ignore whats worked in the past.
They were also both low-boost engines with low compression ratios, that was sorta my point. It was old technology.

If I never moved to the northern Chesapeake and stayed up in NJ in salt water, I probably would have never switched over to aluminum.

But in the same regard, I would have never attempted to make the 965hp I have now with Iron heads.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
That is a good question. I see companies like AFR advertising how "thick" there decks are, and how that is great for forced induction engines. Theres no question iron is stronger when comparing them at the same thickness level. Is it possible an iron head has a better clamping force and less chance of distorsion under high pressures ? Maybe why high compression, high cylinder pressure diesel engines are still running iron heads ? I know a diesel engine can have extreme pressures and extreme exhaust temps. What do they do to keep their exhaust valves in one piece with their iron heads ?
Read info years ago were it would be better to have an aluminum block with iron heads by some experts.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When you swap the heads,are you doing other engine work as well. I'm really curious about the numbers if you are basically just changing heads, and retuning .From what I read of your stuff I'm assuming it will be run on a dyno. It would be cool if you could check at least on motor as it is now ,change heads and re dyno.....All in similar weather ,same dyno
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,347 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Bawana
One thing I noticed, was I had to run a richer AFR with a iron headed super charged engine. That is comparing same builds, whereas the only difference was iron eagles vs. brodix, everything else being identical.
How did you come to that conclusion? High EGT`s till you gave it more fuel? Just curious.

btw, I wish i could run higher engine temps temps... running no water temps is not by choice for me.

Originally Posted by Panther
. But in the same regard, I would have never attempted to make the 965hp I have now with Iron heads.

Why?

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Wonder whats the most power one made reliably in a marine engine, with iron heads. I know a friend of a friend just bought a boat with some big Sterling blower motors. They have iron heads. Surely guys like Cheif, Zul, Sterling, and others must have built some big power saltwater ran engines with iron heads over the years.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

First off THANK YOU to Joe Mild Thunder for sharing GREAT info like always, looking forward to hearing your positive results. There are a TON of members on here that could really appreaciate and benefit from the cost savings of these heads.

My factory sealed 800ish HP procharged 7psi iron head 500efi's are still going strong for the new owner after 300hrs pushing the Baja hard to 100mph.

The average powerboater with lower to mid hp levels would be fine with iron heads. I would rather see that then some of the other corners people cut, but hey they got fancy aluminum heads!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Last edited by hogie roll; 01-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.