HVAC question >

HVAC question

Notices

HVAC question

Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HVAC question

I have a customer with a large house. (One of many) The basement has 3000 S.F. of in floor heat and 5 air handlers for the main and upper floors. The problem started last Tuesday. When I arrived the system was full of air, the auto air vent had gone bad. The system has some glycol in it. I used the system pump to purge out the air in each loop. The next day I had to go back to replace other parts and again found it FULL of air. Replaced the parts and bled it again figuring I had missed a pocket of air. Got a call Friday and she has a bad smell in the house and no hot water. The system had not discharged any solution to cause the smell but you can see where the air vent had been putting out a LOT of air. The water looks brown and stinks. I figured that the system had a bacterial bloom so I flushed the entire system with fresh water. I plan on going back Monday and injecting an algaecide and letting that circulate for a day then flush and refill with the right mixture of glycol.
Have you ever seen this?
What did you do?
Is there a brand of glycol that isn't prone to this condition?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you pressure checked the system. We are talking Radiant in a concrete floor. If so is it a loop or manifold layout?
Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Pressure is not a problem. It gained pressure with the feed turned off and I tested the indirect for a bad coil. The pressure is from air. When I originally got there the relief valve was stuck closed and the system pressure was at 40 PSI. I guess out in UTAH they have a real problem with this because the water has phosphates in it.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

There are multiple manifolds. WIRSBO
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

The only thing that comes to mind if there is a partial blockage and the system cycles to flow and starts to siphon. Are there any air check valves that could be drawing air in reverse. As in a expansion tank or a air bleed at a line end or high spot loop?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Nope - very hard to draw in air at 40 PSI on a two story building. I talked to a friend that has heard of this before but never seen it himself. ( owns a large plumbing and hydronic company here ) And the air production almost stopped after I flushed the system. Before I flushed the system when I was purging the air with the auto air vent by circulating one loop at a time it acted like the air never ended. It acted like it was producing air almost as fast as I could vent it. ( it probably was )
Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Registered

I'd like to hear the results
Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

I will let you know of the results.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I have a customer with a large house. (One of many) The basement has 3000 S.F. of in floor heat and 5 air handlers for the main and upper floors. The problem started last Tuesday. When I arrived the system was full of air, the auto air vent had gone bad. The system has some glycol in it. I used the system pump to purge out the air in each loop. The next day I had to go back to replace other parts and again found it FULL of air. Replaced the parts and bled it again figuring I had missed a pocket of air. Got a call Friday and she has a bad smell in the house and no hot water. The system had not discharged any solution to cause the smell but you can see where the air vent had been putting out a LOT of air. The water looks brown and stinks. I figured that the system had a bacterial bloom so I flushed the entire system with fresh water. I plan on going back Monday and injecting an algaecide and letting that circulate for a day then flush and refill with the right mixture of glycol.
Have you ever seen this?
What did you do?
Is there a brand of glycol that isn't prone to this condition?
What kind of piping was used on the job ?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

What kind of expansion tank is being used ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.