Drive Lube Reservoir Fitting at transom breakage >

Drive Lube Reservoir Fitting at transom breakage

Notices

Drive Lube Reservoir Fitting at transom breakage

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Drive Lube Reservoir Fitting at transom breakage

Has anyone else had issues with the fitting that goes through the transom to the outdrive from the drive lube reservoir breaking? I have had one break on the stbd side about 2 years ago and now I have the port side one broken.

Any tips on how to replace/repair temporarily for this season? It is REALLY hard to get to on my boat.

When I do replace, any tips on a replacement that wont break so easily?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Very common they are cheap plastic and over time become brittle. Most of the time they get broken when changing U joint bellows.

The hardest part of the job can be access and getting the new C clip back on. I do not install the stock C Clip - as I have found SS hair clips to use - you can just push them on and so much easier to pull them off first try everytime.

Last edited by BUP; 02-07-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a pretty common thing to break that fitting. I've broken quite a few over the years. How hard it is to change really depends on the boat and the access to the rear of the engine. If it has silent choice exhaust, it is much harder because of the Y pipe in the way. As BUP mentioned, the hardest part is removing the retaining clip. The fitting just pulls out of the gimble once the clip is removed.
Eddie
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you change this fitting from inside or does the drive need to be pulled?

Is there a non-plastic version that you can put in to replace?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM
BUP
Banned

Merc offering is the only one that has it made and its plastic. You have to install it from the outside in. It can not be removed nor installed from the engine compartment / bilge area.

The inner hose connection and the C clip needs to be removed first which is located in the inner transom area, this will allow you to pull it out from the outside / outer transom area. We have installed many with the drive still on as well. Sometimes it a matter of choice - drive on or drive off.

Last edited by BUP; 02-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It's a pretty common thing to break that fitting. I've broken quite a few over the years. How hard it is to change really depends on the boat and the access to the rear of the engine. If it has silent choice exhaust, it is much harder because of the Y pipe in the way. As BUP mentioned, the hardest part is removing the retaining clip. The fitting just pulls out of the gimble once the clip is removed.
Eddie
hardest part is putting that stainless steel E clip back on.I use gripper fingers to get it into place then use a long screw driver to push it on.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM
BUP
Banned

And like I said above - making that hardest part putting the C clip / E clip back on is to use a S S hair clip - so much easier and to remove.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think JR marine has a brass replacement, if its not them I know someone make the kit. Its brass screw in and the hoses go onto barbs in and outside
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do a good many bellows replacement's and have broken my share of those plastic fittings. The first thing I do now when replacing shift cable or any bellows is cut the
hose. Usually just the bell housing moving around while changing bellows will break that fitting. Definitely a poor design but they've used it for years. It used to be a brass fitting but they changed it to plastic.