Notices

Before Bravo

Old 09-21-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before Bravo

speedmaster and trs , are they related ? are
parts interchangable?
Any info would be greatly appreiciated(sp)

thx
Old 09-21-2002, 02:08 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TRS and #2 Speedmaster share the same upper ,Gimble etc,after that 3,4,5,6 there are not any parts that interchange.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Registered

What about the lower ??
Old 09-21-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

Default speedmaster II

We have a speedmaster II drive? that I'm trying to confirm idenity of. It has a CCW Cleaver and the unpainted transmission bolted to a dead 455 olds.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Dennis Moore

Default ssm lower

XCV8

There were three different production drives called the Mercruiser I, the Mercruiser II and the Mercruiser III.

There were three different Super Speed Master Drives called the SSMIII, SSMIV and the SSMV.

The Mercruiser I became renamed (with some small design changes) and called the Alpha 1.

The Mercruiser II is more commonly called the TR (transmission) or the TRS (transmission sport). The TRS had a smaller lower gearcase that accepted standard size props.

The Mercruiser III is a large drive with a larger transom assembly than the II. It was used in work boats and could swing a very large prop. They were very rare (I have been in the business thirty years and I have only seen one, at the factory in Fond Du Lac!).

All SSM lower gearcases are unique and share nothing with any standard non racing mercruiser lower gearcases. The SSM gearcases bolted to the II or III upper drive shaft housings/transom plate assemblies to make a SSM drive.

The SSM II lower gearcase bolts to the II upper driveshaft housing/transom plate assembly. The SSM II lower gearcase is discontinued and no parts are available from Mercruiser Racing for rebuilds.

The SSM III lower gearcase bolts to the III upper driveshaft housing/transom plate assembly. The SSM III lower gearcase is discontinued and no parts are available from Mercury Racing for rebuilds. You must replace the complete SSM III lower gearcase with the new design SSM III A lower gearcase.

The SSM IV lower gearcase bolts to the III upper driveshaft housing/transom plate assembly. The SSM IV lower gearcase has the same internals as the SSM III but is shorter for a higher X dimension.

The SSM V lower gearcase has the same internal parts of the SSMIII A but is shorter for a higher X dimension. The SSM V lower gearcase bolts to a stronger SSM V upper drive shaft housing. The III transom assembly is used.

The SSM VI and larger drives share nothing with the older SSM's.

It is kind of confusing isn't it? Nobody said going fast was simple!

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
Mercruiser Master Tech

Old 09-21-2002, 11:31 PM
Registered

Are you the same Dennis that wrote the SBC book???
Old 09-22-2002, 01:05 AM
Registered

He is (he also wrote BBC and a couple others I've enjoyed reading). Just don't get him started on Mercury "engineering".

-Chris
Old 09-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Registered

Default Dennis Moore

Wow, i got the whole picture , damn you know your stuff...
You are the man !!!!

the boat i recently purchased has trs drives, the drives are freshly built, with ssm lowers and 1.5 racing gears, the guy told me they are good to 850 H.P. , and they are basiclly bulletproof?
they were rebuilt about 8 years ago and have been sitting ever since .... they look brand new out of the box... he also has 2 sets trannys, the original 's that came with the boat, and these special racing units. the drive is now set up for the racing trannys which has a larger driveshaft and yoke... ( from what i understand)

the reason for all this racing stuff is he had 680 h.P. motors in the boat, i don't want those motors ( well he wants an extra 20k for the 680's) So i bought it with rebuilt 440's( which i have to install)

should i try to get the racing tranny's with the 440's / or would that be overkill?

I'm concerned about the drives and the parts avalibility for them.
i guess i'm looking for options if a drive failed and the parts can not be found....

are the new bravo setups stronger than what i have...?

Gregg
Old 09-22-2002, 03:20 PM
Dennis Moore

EXCAV8
The SSM II drives have a small diameter lower gearcase that will NOT take more than 500 horsepower. They work great with a small block. I would use a lower horsepower big block engine with them and be careful! They don't like torgue. The SSMII uses very different, very expensive props.

The TRS lower gearcase is still available new and uses standard props.
The Mercruiser II TRS drive is stronger than the Mercruiser Bravo drive.

There are two different trans used in the TRS, one is made by Mercruiser, has a cast aluminum housing and small input and out put shafts. It is very weak. The other is the cast iron Borg Warner Velvet Drive that is very strong. It will have an ID tag that says Velvet Drive.

Sincerely
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 09-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Registered

Thankyou dennis,

i will find out soon exaclly what i have... i have not taken delivery on the boat yet.... So i'm going by what i have been told...
it sounds to me that the trs lowers would be better for that 680 H.P. application he had... maybe i misunderstood what he said about the lower units , some kind of trick stuff had been done to that lower, i'm just hoping now that its still a trs unit... with better gears .....

i will get the B.W. V. D.

thx again

Gregg

Quick Reply: Before Bravo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.