Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

about 3/4 of a full race cam.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

lol

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Funny you mention the old trusty 3/4 race cam, as I suggested that to Tim via text yesterday. PROVEN performer, time and again!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
If you have a custom lobe and it hasn't been spun on a spintron putting it in your motor and running it is a crap shoot.
BB, i I remember a while back and one of our cam threads that you mentioned you and Bob were going to spintron test your setup did that ever happen?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
BB, i I remember a while back and one of our cam threads that you mentioned you and Bob were going to spintron test your setup did that ever happen?
No. Really would have like to. But at this point. I'm probably going to step up to a 60mm cam. I just got some professional insight this evening on a dynoed 60mm custom cam with less lift and duration than the 55 I have know. The valvetrain needed work after the motor came of the dyno. So I think we are going to tame things down some.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
why back to 741's?
Because they seem to make decent power with about every combo and they saved me some money since I'm building 2 motors. Also, I don't see the need to do custom cams when I'll be making more hp than the drives can take anyway. Nothing to do with Bob. I've always had good dealings with him, by luck or otherwise.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While this thread is somewhat surprising, it is very informative, and I'm all ears, and lobes lol.
nice to see a great discussion with no knockdown dragout bs!
and oh yeah subscribed.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
No. Really would have like to. But at this point. I'm probably going to step up to a 60mm cam. I just got some professional insight this evening on a dynoed 60mm custom cam with less lift and duration than the 55 I have know. The valvetrain needed work after the motor came of the dyno. So I think we are going to tame things down some.
Did it at least the power you were looking for ? That couldnt have been a cheap ordeal .
Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that has not been discussed here too much is forced induction vs NA. I would think that a cam could be a hell of a lot milder with forced induction and much easier valve-train with shoving air in it

The reason I bring this up...guys turboing the chit out of stock 5.3 motors and they live in mud trucks...

Given, they are not an endurance motor, I would think that with mild boost these would last for quite some time.

Meet CAM THREAD...the new and improved oil thread!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was just curious, wish I made that choice like you also.... my results not even close to what I expected.

Originally Posted by wfo1
Because they seem to make decent power with about every combo and they saved me some money since I'm building 2 motors. Also, I don't see the need to do custom cams when I'll be making more hp than the drives can take anyway. Nothing to do with Bob. I've always had good dealings with him, by luck or otherwise.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boost makes everything run good lol

My buddys 353 has Merc 525 roller cams, easy on valvetrain makes about 850hp with 7 lb Procharger...

Originally Posted by JRider
One thing that has not been discussed here too much is forced induction vs NA. I would think that a cam could be a hell of a lot milder with forced induction and much easier valve-train with shoving air in it

The reason I bring this up...guys turboing the chit out of stock 5.3 motors and they live in mud trucks...

Given, they are not an endurance motor, I would think that with mild boost these would last for quite some time.

Meet CAM THREAD...the new and improved oil thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.