Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

For the record. Nothing wrong with the Crane 741 and 651 cams either.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
For the record. Nothing wrong with the Crane 741 and 651 cams either.
imo,the crane 139651 in a 540-565 engine works well and is a good choice for a marine application.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think if the cam was designed by the "Right Person" a custom cam would be better. All the custom cams cant be bad just have to chose the rite master lobes. Ultradyne had some good custom stuff.
Think lunati may have some master lobes from Harold Brookshire "Ultradyne" . Believe they where doing cam grinding for him a few years back.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
I would think if the cam was designed by the "Right Person" a custom cam would be better. All the custom cams cant be bad just have to chose the rite master lobes. Ultradyne had some good custom stuff.
Think lunati may have some master lobes from Harold Brookshire "Ultradyne" . Believe they where doing cam grinding for him a few years back.
I was told Harold went to work for Lunati, don't know if it is or was true. There's nothing wrong with a custom cam, there's nothing wrong with a shelf cam. If we're comparing apples to apples from one to the other how much difference could ther be. I would like to see the specs on these Lunati cams versus the customs along with the dyno sheets.

Last edited by GPM; 02-13-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

for the record,i have used some custom cams from bob in the last 2 years with good results.none of them have a lot of time on them yet but i believe if the valve springs&lifters get changed out at reasonable time intervals these builds will last a long time.i don,t think it would be fair to say every custom camshaft is a disaster waiting to happen.that is just not true as i know of a lot of custom cams that have been in service for a long time.i am not trying to start a pizzing match and won,t get sucked into one,i am just stating my opinion.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GPM
I was told Harold went to work for Lunati, don't know if it is or was true. There's nothing wrong with a custom cam, there's nothing wrong with a shelf cam. If we're comparing apples to apples from one to the other how much difference could ther be. I would like to see the specs on these Lunati cams versus the customs along with the dyno sheets.
You might be rite with Harold working for lunati I think the voodoo series might be something he was involved with. Last company Harold owned I bought cams from was Custom Cams. And they made great power and no problems.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree. I use, and spec, semi custom cams all the time. Using proven, spintron tested, engineered lobes from a catalog. This is vastly different then spec'ing one off lobes that a computer program spits out.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be rite with Harold working for lunati I think the voodoo series might be something he was involved with. Last company Harold owned I bought cams from was Custom Cams. And they made great power and no problems.
Harold is why I ended up using Lunati.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Harold is why I ended up using Lunati.
Lot of stuff about him on yellow bullet. Was a smart dude.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cam is a cam...it's either right for the combination or not. Cams are one of those things where close can be good enough, depending on what you're trying to do. Using a custom cam in something it wasn't designed for makes it no better than the wrong shelf cam. The nice thing about a custom cam is that it can usually address combinations that aren't ideal or builds that aren't "main stream". I know we see a lot of "custom cams" where the customer would have been better off with a shelf cam picked with a dart board.
The following users liked this post:
almalare (02-10-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.