Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Adding to the discussion on cams. I'd like to hear the varying opinions on rocker ratios and what the effects of changing them may have. How does one come up with reasoning that a 1.7 vs 1.8 is better or vice versa? Yes, I understand the cam is designed around rocker ratio but what is the real world advantage of going away from the typical 1.7 ratio?
I always wondered this as well. Higher lifter loads but lesser lifter travel. Interesting to see where this goes. So for marine is it always better to run the 1.7 ratios? Or on a more mild cam where spring pressures aren't that high be able to use the shorter travel factory style dogbone gen 6 lifters. Say in a simple stock CR, stock bottom end 502? Wondering for my next boat.......wanting to keep fairly stock 502 mpi, add pro flo intakes, better cam, enginequest 320 heads. Plan is to procharged them eventually but would prob run for a season or two NA.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

One of them was, so what is the point made? I am lost.

Originally Posted by Panther
So the engine that MT was talking about was yours then?

If so, my point is made.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wait? there is talk that we rigged the dyno or made up these numbers? .... who said that please PM to me...funnt how that can be said when the boat performs like a 600 hp boat, NOT a 700 hp boat.... good lord.

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Outsider looking in? You have been a cheerleader for marine kinetics on every tech thread here over the years. You asked info, i gave it . Sorry if you dont like it. If i was a betting man, and i said that tims combo was put together by foxwell or straub, you would have ripped it up and down. Instead, you insinuate that bob specd that combo for "other reasons" and made excuses for it. Im not talking speculation , or opinion, im talking facts. If you dont like facts, there are plenty of other threads you can clap your hands together for what bob has done. Lots of them. As have i in the past when his combos went well. Sorry if the fact that not every build hes been involved in , hasnt been a home run.

How convenient straub and foxwell got banned again, and neither of them said a negative word in this thread.

Oh wait, i forgot. I and the engine builder who dynoed tims engine, were accused of sabotaging the engines , so they wouldnt make the power or be durable...thats a good one. Yea, two guys guys who went way out of their way to help TIM, for zero money or gains, are now being called liars yet once again.

Gimme a break. Lets get back to reality.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Outsider looking in? You have been a cheerleader for marine kinetics on every tech thread here over the years. You asked info, i gave it . Sorry if you dont like it. If i was a betting man, and i said that tims combo was put together by foxwell or straub, you would have ripped it up and down. Instead, you insinuate that bob specd that combo for "other reasons" and made excuses for it. Im not talking speculation , or opinion, im talking facts. If you dont like facts, there are plenty of other threads you can clap your hands together for what bob has done. Lots of them. As have i in the past when his combos went well. Sorry if the fact that not every build hes been involved in , hasnt been a home run.

How convenient straub and foxwell got banned again, and neither of them said a negative word in this thread.

Oh wait, i forgot. I and the engine builder who dynoed tims engine, were accused of sabotaging the engines , so they wouldnt make the power or be durable...thats a good one. Yea, two guys guys who went way out of their way to help TIM, for zero money or gains, are now being called liars yet once again.

Gimme a break. Lets get back to reality.
Really? No $hit Banned! for What? I don't recall them pointing any fingers, and there was good tech talk going on! I'm not up on all the "insider" crap and don't want to be! Why can't we agree to disagree and remain friends/colleagues, and enjoy the boats for what they are?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Adding to the discussion on cams. I'd like to hear the varying opinions on rocker ratios and what the effects of changing them may have. How does one come up with reasoning that a 1.7 vs 1.8 is better or vice versa? Yes, I understand the cam is designed around rocker ratio but what is the real world advantage of going away from the typical 1.7 ratio?
Just my opinion, The bigger ratio will act like a faster ramp, stock spring pressure may not control the acceleration and your lifters will be playing basketball with the cam. There is the possibility of the retainers hitting the valve guides, also a chance of coil bind. If the heads flow more with the higher lift you would gain some power.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's funny the Bob lovers get all worked up if we mention Bobs name, well he is the person in my case that got me set up, so who else name would I say? Bob was designer, it failed at numbers, he should defend himself, he will not... so if guys don't wanna hear a name who cares, get over it, if I used Gellner for heads, cams, rockers, and stuff then his name would be mentioned... but I didn't There is NO AGENDA for me, I can care less what people think if they want to think that go ahead.

Basically it seems there are MANY shelf cams that will work great for any build, I could have picked Cigrockets build from 10 years ago and had a PROVEN combo with great dyno numbers and also a faster result in the boat, so yes to me there are shelf cams that just work.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
One of them was, so what is the point made? I am lost.
I had a hunch, without any fact (when it was first posted), that your engine and Bob's cam was somehow going to be the root of the engines referenced. It was like watching a coming attraction to a movie where you think you saw it already because you can predict the ending.

It goes back to my post on how this whole thread is full of undertones, innuendo's which are later followed by direct comments related to Bob and his cams. It's getting old and seems to be a common thing and I don't agree with the tact. But that's just my opinion so it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't wish you any ill will, I don't even know you. Believe me, I've been screwed by plenty of people in the marine industry over the past 17 years that I've owned boats and worked on them for a living. I saw my father get screwed back in the 1980's as well with his boat... So, it's not a new thing... Best thing I can tell you is to educate yourself so that if/when things seem awry, you can see it coming. Also, don't have too many hands in the pot. You know what they say about opinion's and a$$holes. lol

I don't have anything else to add to this thread. It's a shame it went sideways but it was destined to go that way with the undertones.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

you are making it more then it is, lets just say for one second you spent over 30 grand on engines, then find out they make the boat SLOWER then before, after Bob said 700 hp and will be WAY better then my old engines, then find out they are not, would you not try to get to the bottom of why not? Now I see that someone says the numbers are skewed? well the boat is SLOWER then it was with 598HP engines so how can that be true?

dude bottom line is Bob did not deliver, and if was anyone else it would be no big deal, god forbid Bob messed up... if you are so smart why don't you tell me why I don't see even close to 700 hp?

Take it to PM I will have it out with you, I don't feel like being banned because you think we are out to make Bob look bad...

Originally Posted by Panther
I had a hunch, without any fact (when it was first posted), that your engine and Bob's cam was somehow going to be the root of the engines referenced. It was like watching a coming attraction to a movie where you think you saw it already because you can predict the ending.

It goes back to my post on how this whole thread is full of undertones, innuendo's which are later followed by direct comments related to Bob and his cams. It's getting old and seems to be a common thing and I don't agree with the tact. But that's just my opinion so it doesn't matter anyway.

I don't wish you any ill will, I don't even know you. Believe me, I've been screwed by plenty of people in the marine industry over the past 17 years that I've owned boats and worked on them for a living. I saw my father get screwed back in the 1980's as well with his boat... So, it's not a new thing... Best thing I can tell you is to educate yourself so that if/when things seem awry, you can see it coming. Also, don't have too many hands in the pot. You know what they say about opinion's and a$$holes. lol

I don't have anything else to add to this thread. It's a shame it went sideways but it was destined to go that way with the undertones.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Take it to PM I will have it out with you...
If your intent is to PM me and "have it out with me" as you say, don't bother because I wont respond.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Orville Brings the Family Together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.