Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-13-2016, 11:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My Morels were purchased in 2007, were overheated and had the metal particles of the engine failure pass through them. Would you really be comfortable attributing the plunger failure to cam specs? Yes, I reused my old lifters. I will share that I was at 675 hp at 5600 and still climbing with the 4150 when we had to stop. I'm happy witb that number and 305 heads

Last edited by bck; 02-13-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Pretty much what Im trying to say right there^^^

Im embarking on my first engine build outside of the 2 stroke arena. I have been RTFF like crazy and all it has done is make me dizzy and other than using a fuel injection system Im doing one of the most basic, has been done since before oso existed builds ever created.

Seriously... a 489 stroker aiming for 525is hp.... you would think it would be easy to find a nice simple blueprint...

10:1 compression alum heads
single plane multi port efi
Gen 6 roller..
Stainless marine exhaust can go wet or dry on the risers, prefer wet...
will edelbrocks do it or do I need to step up to afr's
Will the 500efi cam I have do it or do I need something else...

Should be simple... should be off the shelf parts....
Start a thread on your build if you haven't already. I can recommend you three different brand shelf cams that will make that power with factory iron heads. The 500efi cam will do it with the edelbrock heads no problem
Old 02-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
My Morels were purchased in 2007, were overheated and had the metal particles of the engine failure pass through them. Would you really be comfortable attributing the plunger failure to cam specs?
I wouldnt have attempted to reuse them if that was the case.

I wouldnt put a tire on a car that was made in 1982, an when it blew, blamed it blew because it was 35 years old, even though i could have ran over a railroad spike.

I know many many guys who have had great luck with morel hydraulic lifters. Seems the ones who have had failures, have had one thing in common, and blamed the lifter itself. Then thinking the key to their sucess is going to be ditching the morels and going with johnsons.

I too had one morel lifter collapse on my own engine. However it was after a cylinder wall cracked, and the crankcase filled with raw unfiltered lake water. I replaced that one pair of lifters for 75 bucks (lifters were brand new when this happened), and have been going strong for 4 years now at 800hp with lots of extended wot time.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 AM
Registered

Whats your guys thoughts on valvetrain noise ?

Ever notice one cam can have a very quiet valvetrain, and another can be quite noisy, with the same lifter ? Why would that be ?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

What was the one thing in common with the Morel failure? Same lift? Spring pressure?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
What was the one thing in common with the Morel failure? Same lift? Spring pressure?
What are your can specs? Seem to be avoiding that?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Not at all. My specs are on the cam card at the builder, I never even held them in my hands. That doesn't mean I'd post them even if they were right in front of me.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 AM
Registered

Heres comp's MARINE lobes from their master lobe list. See .400 lobes anywhere here? I don't.

But, lets look at something. Take a look at the 236 cam lobes, in standard, and hi lift profiles. Rated duration same, .050 duration same, .200 duration NOT same. Why?

Heres what Kip Fabre says on that

Someone came up with this statement and it stuck, “THE MORE AGGRESSIVE THE RAMP RATE, THE MORE OVERALL AND UNDER THE CURVE POWER”. It was probably some cam lobe designer trying to BS people. Ramp rate? What is that? Velocity? Acceleration? Degrees from .006” to .050”? You must have high acceleration and jerk to have a lobe that has a low .006” to .050” number like 49 degrees, and that will beat the snot out of the lifters and be noisy. We use a smoother ramp of about 55 degrees. The .050” to .200” can be pushed if you want a high duration @.200”, but you will have higher accelerations before and at the nose which will float sooner. If you have two cams, both having [email protected]”, one with .340” lobe lift, one with .360” lobe lift, the lobe with the higher lobe lift (.360”) will always have a higher .200” duration.
Attached Thumbnails Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-marine-hyd-roller-comp.png   Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-marine-high-lift-hyd-roller-comp.png  

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 02-14-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Not at all. My specs are on the cam card at the builder, I never even held them in my hands. That doesn't mean I'd post them even if they were right in front of me.
That explains it all, super secret Bob cam...so you want facts and numbers but woukd not post them yourself.. Might as well move on then
Old 02-14-2016, 12:26 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

This thread has been a completely peaceful exchange of info and I am asking questions in an attempt to learn. take whatever the f your problem is elsewhere or we'll get this one locked down also. I'm about to ask mt what the hell a .400 lobe is because I don't know wth that means. All I know about lift is .550 .600 etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.