Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
9.6 compression and boost >

9.6 compression and boost

Notices

9.6 compression and boost

Old 02-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have been researching whipples products so more, and they make a single carb version of the 3.3L and it can be used on my tall deck engine's along with their high capacity low profile intercooler. I have the space for this setup, and with the addition of the intercooler could I safely run 5-8 pounds of boost on pump 93? Remember aluminum heads, and 9.6 static compression.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that 9.5 static compression with steel heads and 5.5lbs of boost (8-71 roots) with no intercooler doesn't work out so well with pump gas. lesson learned, I should of checked into things a little deeper before the purchase.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

timing and camshaft will make all the difference in the world when done right..
If your already making 650hp making 800 with boost should be possible on pump gas by running the right timing curve,the right cam and 4-5lbs of boost max
The SC800 Mercruiser was a 572 with stock chevy steel heads,,very small cam and 5lbs boost out of a B&M420 which is smaller than an 8-71.no intercooler on 92octane,it made 750hp..
You have more cubes and better heads.
Prop selection will also help,,over propping will raise the load level across
the board making detonation more likely,, running slightly smaller prop will
take some of the load off both engine and drive..sometimes a little extra slip is a good thing.

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 02-25-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, from what we have experianced, E85 on boosted apps is better than sliced bread, if it easy to get its great. We build a X275 car, LS with turbo, 26psi no IC 1200 hp, no headaches with it at all, and we just use pump stuff, but only buy in summer as the blend changes. you must setup up fuel system for twice the HP you are at having to burn 40% more. We run magna fuel pro-efi pump #12 line tank to pump, #10 to rails, #8 return. I was told by patrick @ prosystems carbs not to try carb with E85 due to leaning out a few cylinders and bad things would happen..some have, we went with EFI using megasquirt...hope this helps...