Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
7.4l MPI not reaching full power (MEFI 3 MCM) >

7.4l MPI not reaching full power (MEFI 3 MCM)

Notices

7.4l MPI not reaching full power (MEFI 3 MCM)

Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 7.4l MPI not reaching full power (MEFI 3 MCM)

Hi guys,

[2000 Baja 302 7.4l MPI, Engine SN: 0L633801)

I've recently been fighting some electrical issues... long story short, the stbd distributor shaft had "wollowed" out and was shorting out the ignition module and coil. It took forever to find that, but now I have a brand new distributor, cap, rotor, IC, coil... the whole she-bang.

The issue I am facing now is that I can only get to about 4000 rpm and 59mph. Before all of this, I was able to get 4600rpm and 66mph on the GPS speedo. One odd behavior I am seeing is that at WOT, after a while -- sometimes as long as an hour, the rpms will slowly drop to maybe 3700 and after a couple of minutes, creep back up to 4000. Once this behavior starts, it keep doing it with a frequency of about every 5-10 mins. There is no sputtering or backfiring, and getting on plane and accelerating seem to be fine... ie. it pulls like a truck up to 4000rpm and then holds there. Every now and then it might creep up to 4150, but it cant sustain it for very long.

When we set the timing, we set it according to the manual at 1800 rpm in service mode and had it dead-on. BUT... today I took the scan tool to the lake with me and noticed that the rpm's the computer shows and that of the tach are off by about 400rpm... the tack is high by 400 rpm throughout the power range. The RPM numbers I gave above take this delta into account.

Would setting the timing at 1400rpm instead of 1800rpm make any real difference? Could bad timing cause the ECM to "fight it" resulting in lower-than-max rpm's?

Oil pressure is good. Temp is good. No active codes and no stored codes.

If the timing isn't the issue, what else would you guys suggest I look at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to you all in advance,
-Michael
Old 03-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is good tutorial it should have the timing method and no you dont run it up to 1800 rpm to set the base timing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3w...t?pref=2&pli=1