Fuel injector cleaning, I did

Notices

Fuel injector cleaning, I did

Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Autos fair alot better with fuel than boats. Boats fuel see long sit times and condensation, water and corrosion in the fuel system that 98 % of autos will never see.

Many fuel injector table top machines come from China and are junk. There is some quality machines on the market. The ASNU table top machine is 10 K.

The Australians started this many years ago with table top testing machines called New Age.

Some have custom made machines and those do alot better at testing injectors along with cleaning them. RC Engineering is one of them who made an over the top machine(s).

Injectors are electrical and mechanical devices. A good machine can run all the tests and test for internal shorts among other things. You can check Spray patterns , leaks, flow volume, change fuel pressures, change rpms some up to 15K, check flow volumes and balance, clean and back flush injectors for the jist of it. The back flush is a feature to have but better to have it separate from the machine. Cheap machines do not have internal filters to filter out its flow testing fluid after it runs thru the injector.

Some services incorp a lab scope into their machine as well
You definately get what you pay for!!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
I have twin 1988 5.7l 320hp mercruiser racing EFI engines/bravos in my 272 sr1 Formula.
I purchased it a few weeks ago, ran on the hose and they ran rough and eye-burning rich.
I removed the fuel water separator filters filled new ones with Techron concentrated fuel injector cleaner( black bottle) ran the motors and now they run smooth start instantly and no rich smell.
Just thought I would pass this along. I have Never heard of this and I think it works
Glad it worked however.....by removing them and sending them out to flow test before the cleaning and then after the cleaning is the way I like to handle injector work..plus it gives me positive readings that I like to see when I get them back...I can't imagine what the inlet screens look like from an injector out of an 1988 boat but like I said...glad it worked..
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by articfriends
Most the time ultrasonic cleaning then flowed on bench is a world better than any additive, mainly the ultrasonic part. Thats why i made the investment and bought my own machine, Smitty

You too!? Nice!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You too!? Nice!

I actually bought a injector flowing machine that came with ultra sonic cleaner, you can open the injectors while they are being ultra sonic cleaned, showed up today, found some disturbing stuff with several sets of injectors. a set of 80lb siemans deka that only have dyno time on them 1 flows 10-12% more than the rest, the others are within 4% which I still think is too high. If I ever buy high performance injectors again I will definitely pay extra for "matched" sets.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel injector cleaning, I did-s-l400.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That is funny about the jewelry machine. You can not clean injectors with the jewelry machine unless you pulse the injector among a few other things, you would need to do a of that for at least bare min.15 minutes straight. The only thing that jewelry machine will do is clean it externally plus you never drop the whole injector in any cleaning solution or ultrasonic bath.

Last edited by BUP; 03-18-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:41 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

icdedppl has carburetors. But good info about injectors in case anyone is thinking it could be used that way.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

^^^ I own cars you know.