Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Power steering unit allows input cable movment. >

Power steering unit allows input cable movment.

Notices

Power steering unit allows input cable movment.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering unit allows input cable movment.

Can anyone give me advise on this?? I posted before with lots of views but no replies...

I have "some" play in the steering and I have tracked it down to movement of the input of the power steering unit from the cable.

Meaning: the male threads where the cable (the nut on the cable housing) screws on to moves.... When you wiggle the steering wheel the entire cable and housing moves and the part that it hooks on to move an inch or so. Note: the cable is fully tight (both ends) and the nut on the cable housing and the male threaded part on the steering unit both move in unison about an inch before moving tiller and out drive.

Can I assume that the cable is not supposed to move independently of the out drive? What do I need to do? Is there something that needs tightening? Do I need a new PS unit?

Help? Anyone? (Please do not reply back telling me to "go full outside system")

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond....

Mike
Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Unhook your steering cable and go up at the wheel and turn it - When the steering wheel moves does the cable move at the sametime ( in or out ) ?

If the cable moves as soon as you turn your steering wheel then its not on the cable side nor the helm side as being the problem. The cable and steering wheel should all move freely and easy at the sametime when you have it pulled out from the actuator for testing.

Is the steering cable nut properly tightened ??? That is what I would check first - if it is then move on to loosen it and pull cable out to see where your play is coming from testing like I mentioned above.

Other areas

the actuator itself

worn gimbal ring thru swivel shaft area

Loose steering lever

power steering components ie: power steering pump

Last edited by BUP; 03-22-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

When you wiggle the steering wheel the entire cable and housing moves and the part that it hooks on to move an inch or so.
Ayuh,.... Are ya doin' this with the motor, Off,..??

If so, some or most of that movement is the shuttle valve, which when runnin' directs the oil to where it's gotta go to create the Power in P/S,...
Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Registered

Bup; thanks for replying; as I said above the nuts are tight on both ends... The movement is actually in the steering power steering unit the actual spot where you hook the cable to the unit moves....
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Registered

Bondo: I sent you a PM
Old 03-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Registered

Thank you for replying to my post about my power steering... Yes, I am doing this with the motor not running. I am seeing about 1/2" of movement of the steering unit where the steering cable screws in (the entire cable, cable sleeve cable nut and the male threaded part of the steering unit are moving).

Any input for me?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Registered

Ayuh,.... Start it up,.... The slop will disappear,....

As ya turn the wheel, that slop starts to move, which opens the valve, which pushes with the cable pressure,...

Without that slop area, it wouldn't work at all,...
Old 03-23-2016, 04:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I took post number 1 as he was tracking down a real problem of some sort ? So have to ask what and why leads you to thinking of having a real problem with the cable to begin with ?

I guess I took the whole post wrong.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Registered

Well, I thought I was tracking down a real problem too...

Bondo: thank you again for taking the time to educate me... To be clear, I noticed that I had 2.5" of play in my steering wheel (engine off) and started to track it down (sure that I was going to need to deal with a pin issue). I checked the front & back cable nut and then had someone wiggle the wheel and watched for play at the tiller. There was no play at the tiller arm but there was play "at/on the steering unit". The part of the steering unit that has the male threads is actually moving (along with the cable housing) an 1" or so as the steering wheel is wiggled. Is this all part of what your saying is normal (I can only see part of it and it is to far in the bilge to put my hand on it to investigate).
Old 03-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Registered

Ayuh,.... Like I said, start it up, 'n the slop should disappear,....

Though an inch sounds like alot, 1/2" is more likely,...