Notices

Problems

Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems

Getting ready to reinstall engine. Cleaning the bilge and find the transom shield is cracked. It's on the very bottom left side about an inch to the right of the bottom bolt. Its only about a 1/4 inch thick and about 3/4 wide in the area. I'm going to pull it apart is there anything I should know going forward.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive seen these crack or missing the whole section below the two bottom bolts. This is usually caused by one of two things , inside area of transom is not flat ,( extra lamination at bottom of transom causes bottom of transom plate to bow out , stress breaks it after time ). Other cause is a soft transom , allowing flex and causing breakage. If transom is solid , let it ride. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered

I poked around with an awl seems solid. I'm still going to pull it apart for a better look.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Don't be afraid while your in there to drill some cores to make sure. Just fill back in with epoxy or resin but at least you'll know for sure what you have. I had one sneak up on me recently with absolutely no warning signs until I mounted tabs. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Registered

Pulled it all apart. The transom is solid the gel used to seal it around the opening had some cracks and voids. The bolt holes were a little discolored I removed the gel on the opening edges down to the wood. Is it ok to use fiberglass resin to reseal it or should I add some cloth or mat.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Personally I'd use just some thin mat/glass to prevent from cracking and same thing happening again. It might take you a couple of attempts to get what you want. Second coat maybe try and catch the area with the resin as its starting to firm up a bit to help keep where u want it.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would pull the transom assembly off and poke around in the bolt holes and see what you have. Are the holes sealed or is the wood exposed?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Registered

Transom assembly. Is off. The holes did not appear to be sealed but are very solid.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Registered

Sent some pics to glassdave and he recommended the same as getrdunn.
Cleaned it all up a couple layers of glass it looks good.
Any thoughts on installing the gimbal housing obviously a new seal. Silicone around the bolts, torque spec or just by feel any certain sequence on tighten the nuts
Thanks