Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What does a 2003 6.2 Mefi Computer log? >

What does a 2003 6.2 Mefi Computer log?

Notices

What does a 2003 6.2 Mefi Computer log?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a 2003 6.2 Mefi Computer log?

Have a friend that sold his 36' 2003 SeaRay boat thru consignment with a boat dealer last week on Friday.The people that bought the boat fried the motor. He got a call from the dealer that sold the boat for him and told him that they had gotten call from new owner and went out to check out motor. They found no to low compression on #6 & #4 with the spark plug electrode sitting on the top of the piston. They said they wanted him to pay a third of $10,000 that it will cost to put a new motor in the boat. The new owner had paid $800+ to have a survey done before they bought it but they never gave the report to him so he does not know what all they checked when the survey.

I had asked my friend what the computers said and he said he did not think to ask that question today when they called him. My questions is what information does the engine computer log? Will it log fault codes? If it logs fault codes does it also log others things at the time of the fault? Such as RPM, temp, oil pressure, water pressure, and ? I am hoping it does and that way we might get a better idea why it detonated.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It would be ecm 555 not mefi. If any codes that have not been erased they will still pull up also look into history from scan.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

My 03 has a mefi 3.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:18 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^ you must have a Merc Racing Scorpion 6.2 for MEFI or the tow sport 6.2 - MX 6.2 Black Scorpion or Tow sport Black Scorpion as the OP just listed 6.2. These 3 were the only 6.2 with MEFI for TRUE model year 2003 - 2 were Tow Sport 6.2's and Merc Racing had the other one.

You can look for the Merc manu date sticker on your engine or give me engine serial number.

Late Model year 2001 or as of mid / late of 2002 if I recall correctly ALL black production STERNDRIVE engines (NON Merc racing engines and Non Tow sports engines ) were ECM & PCM 555

I know for a fact all 2003 model year - OEM Mercruiser I/O STERNDRIVES were ECM 555 and 496 was PCM 555 - no MEFI's for that side.

Last edited by BUP; 04-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

I talked to my friend yesterday and they have not gotten him any information except calling him and telling him that he either pay for the repair or get the boat back with a blown motor. He had given the dealer a power of attorney when he did the deal to have them consignment the boat. Right now he has no money and no boat.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i call something fishy...as is is as is..plus he had a survey done..did the surveyor tighten the plugs? leaving them loose will cause a lein condition..causing major engine failure..wprse case tell yur buddy that he would be willing to pay a third of a 2003 matched hour engine,,not new..
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
i call something fishy...as is is as is..plus he had a survey done..did the surveyor tighten the plugs? leaving them loose will cause a lein condition..causing major engine failure..wprse case tell yur buddy that he would be willing to pay a third of a 2003 matched hour engine,,not new..
We are thing the survey did not touch the engines but from what we are hearing the buyer payed 800+ for the survey. We have not seen the report. Friend did say when they first called him he said why do I have to pay for a new motor. How about a used one?

They had put 1 1/2 hrs on the boat doing a lake test and survey. From what he had heard yesterday is the boat has another 4 hrs on it now since they took full possession of it. I am going to start another thread to get everyone take on what their feeling are on buying a used boat.