500 Bulldog rev limiter >

500 Bulldog rev limiter

Notices

500 Bulldog rev limiter

Old 04-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
The Daytona is basically the Crane HI-6M that is no longer available. I used that on my last boat and it is a very simple system to set up, and very reliable. When you consider everything that is packed into that box it's a pretty good deal. Most likely that is what I'm going to be using, with my new motors. It's a lot easier to just buy the Daytona box, than trying to hunt down a pair of V8-HP modules and then buy a set of rev limiters. If you do go with that set up, don't forget to buy the matching rotor for your mercury distributor.
While kind of the same, the Daytona ignition has quite a few more features. The crane marine box, did not have ability to build a custom 2d, or 3d timing map, did not have idle stablization, data logging, start retard, etc.

Even with a basic 2d map, you can run say 36 degrees of timing at idle, and pull it back right off idle, bring it back in later, etc. Theres alot you can do with it. It's even better with boost. You can be cruising at 3500rpm in a no boost situation, and have 35 degrees of timing, and as soon as you mash the throttles, boost goes to max , timing gets pulled back via the map sensor signal, and can be ramped in any way you want. Its way more capable than the old crane marine box, even though, the crane marine box was a nice piece, you were basically no better than a merc ignition, with an adjustable rev limiter, feature wise that is.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-12-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
While kind of the same, the Daytona ignition has quite a few more features. The crane marine box, did not have ability to build a custom 2d, or 3d timing map, did not have idle stablization, data logging, etc.

Even with a basic 2d map, you can run say 36 degrees of timing at idle, and pull it back right off idle, bring it back in later, etc. Theres alot you can do with it. It's even better with boost. You can be cruising at 3500rpm in a no boost situation, and have 35 degrees of timing, and as soon as you mash the throttles, boost goes to max , timing gets pulled back via the map sensor signal, and can be ramped in any way you want. Its way more capable than the old crane marine box, even though, the crane marine box was a nice piece, you were basically no better than a merc ignition, with an adjustable rev limiter, feature wise that is.
Like it said- Basically. The Merc box also didn't multi spark ignition, which the crane did. While the new box certainly has some new programing features, it's core is the Crane HI-6M.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Endeavour - they also offer for sale an indexed Merc tbolt rotor, so you no longer have to do this if one doesn't want. Crane never did this. I think is way cool too.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

You couldn't do this with a crane ignition box.

Imo, even besides the custom timing maps and slew of other features, the "start retard" feature, and "idle stabilization" feature alone, are alone a big bonus over the old crane boxes.
Attached Thumbnails 500 Bulldog rev limiter-screenshot-104-.png   500 Bulldog rev limiter-screenshot-105-.png   500 Bulldog rev limiter-screenshot-106-.png  

Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Endeavour - they also offer for sale an indexed Merc tbolt rotor, so you no longer have to do this if one doesn't want. Crane never did this. I think is way cool too.
I agree- I always hated drilling the rotor. For $25.00 it's a no brainer.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
Will this ignition work with a distributor from a 96 502 MPI?

Yes- you just need to replace the rotor with the indexed rotor that Daytona sells. You can drill your's but it's a pain and for $25.00 its money well spent!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:25 PM
SB
Registered

I agree- I always hated drilling the rotor. For $25.00 it's a no brainer.
I converted a Merc Voyager / Delco EST to use the Crane Box instead...I really didn't want to deal with the rotor either. LOL.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Registered

So what exactly is idle stabilization? I'm assuming it's a multi-spark discharge, other than that what does it do differently?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Also- Idle Stabilization = Multi Spark. With the Daytona you can turn it on and off, the Crane you cannot. Maybe you can adjust what rpm it kicks off, but at the root, that feature is same as the Crane.
Its entirely different than Multi spark. Idle stablization, will advance ignition timing as needed, to maintain a set rpm at idle.

IN otherwords, say you have a healthy cam, that likes additional timing when shifted into gear, to not stall out. The ignition box, will add timing, when the rpm drops, say when you put it in gear, to help keep it from stalling.

When watching the idle stabilization feature with a timing light, you will see the timing jumping all over the place, as the idle stabilization, is doing its job.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 04-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM
SB
Registered

Yup, I think that is a huge plus of that system too. Unless you want a more rumpity rump tough to dock idle than you otherwise would. LOL.

Merc's tbolt V maintained idle speed the same way....thru adjusting real time base timing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.